Forum Discussion

HSH
New Contributor II
15 days ago

Email transition forced upon us, is subjecting me to uninvited ads on the Yahoo mail app!

This email transition has opened the door for ads from Yahoo. The only way to stop them is to subscribe to Yahoo +, that has an additional cost. After being a customer for more than 20 years, I'll be looking at other options for internet providers.

17 Replies

zept0sec
    New Contributor

I have spoken to Yahoo Support on the phone several times now for a total of about 4 hours. Despite warnings of phone support being a paid service, to their credit they have not charged me for support. That said, they haven’t been much help either.

It seems clear to me that the Yahoo IMAP server is configured to sync roughly the last two weeks of messages before syncing the rest of your Inbox beginning with the oldest messages. Fine, that makes sense. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to give much priority to the process. It synced up to mid-2020 initially, and over the following week, has made it up to early 2023. Perhaps in another week, I might have local copies of my entire Inbox?

Going back to Yahoo Support, all they can do is tell you to remove/re-add the IMAP connection. They insist nothing is wrong with their mail system, since everything shows up properly in webmail or in the Yahoo Mail app (which is basically just webmail), and they do not think of the IMAP server as being separate from those systems. They consistently blame Apple or Microsoft or any other 3rd party mail client publisher for not syncing with their IMAP server.

As far as I can tell, upgrading to Yahoo Plus will not change anything.

PhilGuzelf
    New Contributor

I have 5 E-Mail addresses from Cox that Transferred to Yahoo. I have been trying for a week to find out if I upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus (which now makes Cox a total Scam) will the upgrade be applied to all my e-mail addresses. Yahoo help is totally useless unless you spend extra for the help desk. Cox just passes me off to Yahoo help. A Simple question, needs a simple answer, and may represent money for Yahoo but nobody on any help desk can give me an answer. I am so MIFFED at COX for doing this. It is for their benefit but just aggravates me, the user! 

HSH
    New Contributor II

I am definitely not happy with Yahoo!

Please tell me of the other option. So far I am totaly unimpressed with the transition of the email project.

MichaelJ

Hi HSH,

I am sorry to hear that your experience with Yahoo Mail has caused you any inconvenience, I'm using the Yahoo Mail App and getting some ads but not bad, 

HSH
        New Contributor II

Glad you are happy with the intrusive ads, I'm not! I'm sure the majority of cox customers are not either! 

HSH
    New Contributor II

I use Outlook & have for many years, now I have not been able to add the Yahoo email to outlook!. 

zept0sec
    New Contributor

The Ads in my webmail are quite irritating, as is what seems to be an arbitrary 3000 message retrieval limit via POP3.

joprimo
      New Contributor

3k limit seems to affect IMAP also on iPhones  🤨

zept0sec
        New Contributor

It does seem that the 3k limit is not actually the case in IMAP, as I had more messages sync at the time, and more still over time. Over the last week, messages from mid-2020 to early-2023 have synced with no further action on my part. Maybe everything will show up by next week?

too_cheap_to_bu
    New Contributor III

Yahoo email is the worst. No options for separating spam for valid emails, reply to emails is difficult, and causes the original email to be deleted. Trying to recall drafts for editing or completion takes so long, it is quicker and easier to start from scratch. Trying to move Yahoo email address to OUTLOOK is impossible. With cox refusing to provide the most basic service leads me to believe that cox will continue to drop services and increase prices with little or no regard to customers. 

itzel1417
    New Contributor

Totally agreed.

My family has been asking me to drop Cox period! This situation has been a total mess! Yesterday, I tried to find out more about this transition and was with a Customer Service Rep - Wilson P - who didn't help me at all after an hour chatting with him or her. The push was to have me sign up for a better internet service, according to this person! I wish I could show you how aggressive was this person on asking me to increase my bill - forget about my questions and concerns. I really hope those chat rooms with Cox Staff is monitored because I am so disappointed with all this!

SharielH

Hi itzel1417, I am sorry this was your experience and we'd hate to lose you as well. Are you having issues with the transition process or wondering when you'll transition? If you're wondering when, you will receive 3 emails before hand. Once 60 days prior, 30 days and 15 days prior. Lastly, you will get an email from Yahoo with a link to complete the process. If you have more than 1 email, they may not all change at the same time. If you've transitioned and need help with the process, we can try to help. Please send us an email to Cox.Help@Cox.Com with your full name, address and a link to this forum.