Forum Discussion

14sticks
New Contributor II
16 days ago

error message "there was a problem connecting to pop.mail.yahoo.com".

I'm trying to add my new Yahoo email account to my Gmail email account and I keep getting this error: "there was a problem connecting to pop.mail.yahoo.com". I've checked my cox email address and my Yahoo password and scanned a number of online documents but I cannot find a solution. Any help would be appreciated

10 Replies

Anesti33
      New Contributor III

Personally I consider the app password requirement to be a red flag.

App passwords are a workaround for insecure and obsolete apps which couldn't handle OAUTH or the other modern auth frameworks when 2FA became mandatory.

But it's also a signal that the app publisher (Google) is fundamentally not committed to interoperating with the target service (Yahoo!)

You can keep trying to shove a square peg into a round hole here, or you could opt for a smoother experience by using a compatible and supported app. Doesn't Yahoo! Mail have its own native interface? Either mobile or on the web, that's where you'll enjoy the most features and functionality. Your software will also be fully supported by the same company.

It's very tempting to consolidate all your mailboxes into one app. I understand for sure. But you'll experience significant inconvenience over time, and you'll eventually question whether it was worth it.

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I'm so sorry for the difficulty with the migration and I want to help. What is the specific issue? 

14sticks
        New Contributor II

This is a repost of my original. I've seen a couple of moderators posts saying they are anxious to help and would like to know the specific issue. I can't state it any more simply than this. I kind of think the moderators are incentified in some way for posting the offer to help without actually providing any, please prove me wrong and help me.

I'm trying to add my new Yahoo email account to my Gmail email account a of nd I keep getting this error: "there was a problem connecting to pop.mail.yahoo.com". I've checked my cox email address and my Yahoo password and scanned a number of online documents but I cannot find a solution. Any help would be appreciated

I did complete the transition from COX to Yahoo, I generated a new password, my emails were transferred, I've logged in and out of my Yahoo account several times. I enter the correct information in gmails set up screens (several times) and continue to get this message. In the set up screens I enter my complete cox email address, my yahoo password, and pop.mail.yahoo.com.

kseene
    New Contributor II

Sorry, I don't use the gmail viewer (app?  website?) to access my "new" cox.net account on yahoo.  I do use Thunderbird and just putting in the yahoo settings and new password doesn't work.  You also have to use something called OAuth2 (instead of simply "Password") for authentication.

As another example for iPhone, manually setting the yahoo servers and password probably doesn't work, either.  In that case, I had to create a new account and select the special "Yahoo!" connection.  That is, for the iPhone I couldn't simply change the smtp/pop-or-imap server settings.

Somebody else might have more specific details for the gmail viewer!!

• 14sticks 

Thanks for reaching out in our forums community about adding your cox dot net email address to Gmail after the transition to Yahoo.

Have you already signed in to the Yahoo mail page to complete the transition with your cox.net email address and password and accessed your inbox? 

As a part of the move process, the various settings that allow a third-party email client to operate will need to be created on your part to reflect the new Yahoo settings if not using the Yahoo Mail app or direct website. See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/fix-pop-imap-client-sending-receiving-issues-sln3792.html for more information.

Please visit  https://www.cox.com/residential/support/access-and-log-in-to-yahoo-mail-after-transition.html for more info about the ways you can access mail after the transition. Once you have successfully completed the mail transition, Yahoo provides all support. You can visit help.yahoo.com or call Yahoo Support at 1-866-562-7250.

** it's important to note that in every case I have encountered where any third party software requires your email username for your migrated Cox account, you will need to enter the entire Cox email address. 

I hope our community members who have been successful with configuration of adding a migrated account to Gmail will chime in with any tips and tricks they have. 

14sticks
      New Contributor II

I did complete the transition from COX to Yahoo, I generated a new password, my emails were transferred, I've logged in and out of my Yahoo account several times. I enter the correct information in gmails set up screens (several times) and continue to get this message. In the set up screens I enter my complete cox email address, my yahoo password, and pop.mail.yahoo.com.

I need help, TIA

JulianN

Hello, we would be happy to assist with any questions or concerns you might have. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com if further assistance is needed. Thank you!