Forum Discussion

jshimandle
New Contributor
3 days ago

Cox 500 Mbps now only 189 Mbps

Have 500 Mbps internet service, normally getting 550 Mbps, now only getting 189 Mbps'

Cox reset modem and checked service. Said all is good even had ZERO packets lost. That's a 1st for my service ever. They said no issues reported in my area.

I reset 1 year old Arris SB8200 modem and 1 year old NETGEAR  Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router, R6700 - AC1750.  Do not believe these are the problem.

Last home service call the tech tested the feed at the box said the box was bad, then proceeded to replace a corroded connector on the interior Cox supplied feed cable. Did not retest, but then said he had to do maintenance on the outside distribution box that previously caused a huge black out and the the techs at that time said it was garbage. I got charge $125 for Cox to fix it's system. Calling for another screwing is last resort ill switvh providers after 30 years

5 Replies

thehumangerm
    New Contributor

If their support doesn't provide proper help file an FCC report. They will have someone with actual authority insure your issue is resolved or they risk getting fined or further regulated. Money is the priority not service.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

If they made repairs in your "AUDIT" box, the box is actually not Cox's responsibility to repair, it's yours. They are responsible for the cable up TO the box, after that is the Homeowner's responsibility. The splitters/barrel connectors are easy to replace yourself. 

jshimandle
      New Contributor

True. Maybe I didn't make it clear. He 1st checked the signal coming out my modem box port and it was bad, so he said it was my modem. He never checked the signal at the cable end feeding the modem nor their Cox installed interior wall cable connection. He did pull my cable off, remove Cox's connection as it was corroded. The proceeded outside to do "maintenance" which I am not responsible for. Then he left and said nothing. I turned on my PC and had full speed internet. Yea, it was one of two or both Cox issues they charged me for. He spent most his time on his cell phone talking to his buddy telling him how to get a job a Cox. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Again, unless that cable connection was at the green Cox Box out in the yard, or someplace, the connection was yours. In the audit box, the barrel connector, the wall plate, the cable from the wall plate to the modem, ALL homeowner responsibility, and unless you have Cox Complete Care, they will charge you for the repairs. 

jshimandle
    New Contributor

As a 30 year Cox subscriber, i just switched to Version. Won't have to deal with the Cox lies anymore.