Forum Discussion

chipmaker
New Contributor
5 years ago

Cox sees my modem, but no internet...

Have tried 2 modems and Cox says they can see them, but no internet.  They said call Netgear.  While waiting and being 19 in que and 30 minutes after connecting, the internet connected.  My daughter said it dropped 2X today, she reset it both times.  So basically my new modem drops like our 3yo modem that Cox said was the original issue.  Any ideas?

notwirthcox
    New Contributor

We have had the same issues.  I really don’t now what to do.  It’s Ridiculous how they want you to pay for a tech to come out and look at your Internet. 

MaryF
      Former Moderator
      Hi Notwirthcox,

We can take another look at your connection. Please feel free to send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name, account name, street address, and details of your issue.

Mary
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'll assume you have a separate modem and router (Netgear).  Do you and your daughter use wireless devices?  Do you have anything hardwired to the router?  When the Internet drops, does the hardwired device still have Internet access?  It could just be the wireless portion of your Internet access.

It could be your modem dropping the connection, but it could just be your router.

chipmaker
      New Contributor

We just bought the Netgear 7000v2(?)  WiFi modem combo.   When we notice internet drop outs, its on wifi and hard wired.  The Netgear device shows no internet on indicator.  The issue was happening before the new wifi modem.  Cox said the modem was the problem.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Okay...you have 1 combo device (Netgear).  You also have a computer hardwired to the back of the combo device .  When the Internet drops, not only your wireless devices lose connectivity but the hardwired computer as well.  Got it.

The Internet light on the front has 3 indications:  off, blinking and solid.  When your connectivity drops, the Internet light is off?

You may need to call Cox, again, (I know) because "seeing" your modem is 1 thing but assessing if your signal is within specs is another.  An out-of-spec signal would be too noisy, too weak, too strong, etc.  An out-of-spec signal could cause your modem to temporarily go offline.

Can you access your modem logs?

MaryF
    Former Moderator
    Hi Chipmaker,

If you're still experiencing connection issues, please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name, account name, street address, and a copy of your forum post so we can take a closer look.

Mary
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      chipmaker
      New Contributor

My daughter called and finally someone is coming out in a month...  sigh

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

In the meantime, you could post your modem logs to give us a hint.