Forum Discussion

wmars1776
New Contributor
7 years ago

Email security settings

Hi,

I received an email from "Cox" today. Here is part of text. Is this real or bogus?

Thanks,

Bill 

"As part of Cox’s ongoing efforts to safeguard our customers’ information, we have identified that you are using outdated email security settings. 

To strengthen the security and privacy of your Cox.net email account, it is essential you update the settings by January 25, 2018 on the devices you use to access the following Cox.net Email(s):

email address' listed here...

These settings control how email messages are sent and received
by your Cox.net Email. They were likely set up years ago and do not
meet newer industry standards. Because your Cox.net Email
settings are unique to your individual email programs on your
devices such as your phone and computer, Cox is unable to make
the changes on your behalf.

For your protection, after January 25, 2018, any devices with outdated settings will no longer be able to send or receive messages from your Cox.net Email until the setting changes are made. "
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Ugg. I won't comment on this much other then to suggest to just NOT use Cox email. Even when everything is set up right and it "works" it will still sometimes just randomly break and there is nothing anyone can do about it, not even Cox. Atleast not on a case by case basis. 

With that said, one big part of the confusion is how SMTP works when using POP3 vs when your using IMAP5. To put simple, if possible, try to use IMAP with SSL on port 993 for inbound. AFAIK when using POP and sending mail when no mail has been recieved in a while, it does a IP check to make sure the IP sending into the SMTP server is a Cox IP. I think this system is failing and giving the false errors. If you use IMAP, you are synced to the mail servers, so I don't think it had to do the same check when sending email. 

Another part of ths issue is Cox no longer allows open relay. Another words, if your email is user@notcox.com you have to now use the SMTP server SMTP.notcox.com or what ever they are for your email service. 

Another part of the issue is if your sending from inside vs outside Cox. I have a feeling when inside Cox network, you should just use your username (no @cox.net) while when outside Cox network (Hotel, airport, etc) you might need to use user@cox.net. Think of it like having to dial the area code for a phone number ONLY if you are not in the same area code for the number already. Since the system that Cox's email is on handles other domains than Cox, when hitting it outside of Cox, it needs to know what domain you are checking the username for. 

Last, if you are still stuck, try a different email client. Some have the option of SSL/TLS for outbound encryption, and if it attemps TLS 1.3 first, it will fail, since Cox is only compatible with TLS 1.2. Other have a way to force SSL over TLS, and THAT is what you should be using on port 465. Here is a break down of the different ports and what they do for reference;

Default Ports:

Server: Authentication: Port:
    SMTP Server (Outgoing Messages) Non-Encrypted AUTH 25 (or 587)
      Secure (TLS) StartTLS 587
      Secure (SSL) SSL 465
    IMAP Server (Incoming Messages) Non-Encrypted AUTH 143
      Secure (TLS) StartTLS 143
      Secure (SSL) SSL 993