Forum Discussion

chasejoshallie
New Contributor
6 months ago

High packet loss

I’ve been experiencing 20-30% packet loss lately. It’s becoming unbearable and it’s been going on for a week. I don’t want to call a tech to come out for something I could possibly fix. I use the cox modem and I just got it exchanged for a new one. That didn’t fix it. It doesn’t make sense why I should be losing the data.

7 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Post a tracert(Windows key + R > CMD > tracert 8.8.8.8 or where ever you getting packet loss) to show where the packet loss is occuring. If the packet loss is intermittent, use Pingplotter program to plot the packet loss over time. It is free for the first 2 weeks. Make sure you test on a wired/ethernet connection to the Cox modem.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

That shows possible packet loss at the boundaries of Cox's network(hop 5). Perhaps pingplotter can show more over time. Not a issue a tech. could fix though. Where are you seeing the packet loss? A speed test? A game? I wonder if it is related to this post.

chasejoshallie
        New Contributor

I tried to use several vpns. I am not sure what that post is suggesting should be the solution. I see 20% packet loss in my game and but I couldn't say for my brother I just know he has been struggling too. Both computers are wired with ethernet. 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

That really doesn't look too bad, a few drops but that could be because the router was busy and didn't respond to the request. What site are you having problems with, and how can you tell you are getting packet loss to that specific site?

chasejoshallie
        New Contributor

The game where it is most affected is fortnite but its all games between my brother and I. I ran the rest on epic games servers and it says only a 2% packet loss but in game it says 20 and it is unbearable.