Forum Discussion

upside222
New Contributor
7 years ago

how to stop discussion group emails from being classed as spam

email from the bitx20@groups.io discussion group keeps getting marked as spam by Cox. I have sent four emails to ThisIsNotSpam@cox.net about this but haven't heard anything in reply. 

How do I get attention to this matter? It's a real pain having to access webmail and move these messages from the spam folder to the inbox folder so I can download them into my local email.

This simply shouldn't be happening. HELP!

• Hi Upside222,

Please be sure that mail sent to ThisIsNotSpam@cox.net is sent as an attachment. Due to the high volume of email received, a personal response is not provided for each report. Do not interpret a lack of response as a lack of action. It may take some time for us and our vendors to ensure this type of email is not flagged in the future. We appreciate your assistance in the battle against spam!

upside222
    New Contributor

I save the mail as a file and then attach the file. 

This started two weeks ago. Just how long is "some time"?

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @upside222

The spam filtering is not specific to customer accounts rather it employs a popularity contest of sorts. Changes are partially based on the number of reports indicating that it is or isn't spam. If more users report a given type of item as not being spam the filters will consider marking it accordingly.

upside222
    New Contributor

The problem is that there aren't a lot of amateur radio operators to generate a large number of reports about this. But that has nothing to do with the amount of emails the discussion group generates. 

gmail does not mark these messages as spam. I'm sure their spam filters are as good as or better than the cox email servers. 

• upside,

There is also an option within webmail where you can mark messages as "Not Spam" which may help our filters with identifying that the content shouldn't be filtered.

upside222
    New Contributor

I mark these messages as "not spam" every single day so I can download the messages from my normal inbox into my local email and save them!

• Hi upside,

Have you added the particular sender email to your contact list in myemail.cox.net to see if the messages no longer list as spam?

upside222
    New Contributor

I have not tried adding this email to my contacts list. I just went there and did so. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion!

upside222
    New Contributor

Dustin,

This seems to have worked, at least for today!

Thanks for the suggestion! 

Hopefully it works tomorrow as well!

• upside222

Glad to hear that worked for you! I'll relay your message to Dustin. Feel free to reach out here 24/7.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator