Forum Discussion

Andy1
New Contributor II
13 days ago

Internet drops for a few seconds.

Just curious if anybody else has had problems with their internet dropping for a few seconds.  You won’t really notice it watching tv or just surfing the internet.  Although, the sound on the tv becomes delayed.  lol. You really notice the drop when doing zoom meetings or anything video feed.  Every time I contact Cox it’s the same thing.  “Reset you router and we don’t see anything wrong on our end.”  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Healium
    New Contributor

This has been happening repeatedly in Las Vegas 89120. WiFi vs Ethernet makes no difference. 

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

Read my reply above, let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything, or if you have more specific information that I can use to help you pinpoint the exact cause if the issue you are seeing. 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Are you on WiFi or ethernet? What modem/router are you using? Each modem has a different method of displaying connectivity, when you momentarily lose internet, does the modem indicate lost Internet connectivity? If not, it may be a wifi interference issue. 

Andy1
      New Contributor II

WiFi and its gateway modem/router. Just got it since the last one was outdated. Does not indicate lost internet.  

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

If it doesn't indicate lost internet, then something else is causing the problem. IF it's happening on a wired system, run a ping test to google,  'ping -n 100 -4 www.google.com'

That will send/rec 100 packets using IPv4. If you get a string of dropped packets, it indicates an issue with either transmit or receive, and may indicate a tech is required. FIRST, swap the cable wire and the ethernet wire, and try again. If the results are the same, then yes, I would contact Cox and request a technician. IF the issue is indoor wiring, (coax through the walls, bad splitter, etc, ask about Cox Complete Care. it's 10$ a month, (I think), and covers the 75$ tech fee. Worth it I think.

If it happens to wireless and not wired. then it indicates emi or rf interference. Ensure the WiFi router is out in the open. NOT behind anything, NOT sitting on the floor, or in a smartbox, or in a cabinet. In the open, raised as high as it can be placed. The reason for raising it high, it wifi is a direct a-b-a signal, which means everything in between reduces the signal. The less things in between, the better the signal, the faster the wifi. A smartbox is stupid. think faraday cage. 

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions, I am actually a systems engineer, beta tested for several WiFi router companies, and actually hold a CNE, CCNE, A+, Network+, certs and/or training and advanced training in Bay Networks, Micom, Gandalf, Newbridge Mainstreet, Symplex, and more. 

cearring
    New Contributor

Yes it has been absolutely horrible these past two weeks. The amount of times I have reset my router is ridiculous. I think it has happened at least 5 times a day the past 2 weeks.