Forum Discussion

Schwappy
New Contributor
2 years ago

Issue: Upgraded from 500 Mpbs to 1000 Mbps

My average download speed went from 250 Mpbs down to 11 Mbps when I upgraded. I've tested the connection and speed multiple times through app and it says I'm getting anywhere from 1-3% of my speed, let's restart the [Panoramic] gateway. I've done this at least 10 times over the last 2 days and the speed has only once been above 20 Mpbs, and that lasted for about 1 minute before dropping again.

I'm currently trying chat with Oliver but after I answer his first question the chat goes silent and Oliver never proceeds.

This is quite frustrating.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

There seems to be a trend of recently upgraded plans not delivering the new bandwidth, even after numerous reboots and resets.  A final stab would be for the phone reps to re-provision your Internet service.  If the rep lacks the skills or is hesitant, send an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name, complete address and what has failed to get the new bandwidth.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

have you tried testing the speed with a computer connected via ethernet?

CuriousJ
      Contributor

Dumb question: How do you do that if the laptop doesn't have an ethernet port?

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

get a USB - Ethernet adapter. 

Lovemylab
      Contributor III

But that speaks only about WiFi. The core question here is - what is the speed at the modem? Getting an accurate answer to that is challenging. I can get a good answer by running a speed check directly from my Google Router. I can also get a good answer running a local instance of Speedtest from my PC (or my wife's laptop, when connected directly to the ethernet on the modem. (This may require a reboot first to establish the connection.) This also requires having a Network Interface Card (NIC) that supports 10/100/1000 mbps. Some are only 10/100. It sounds like this individual doesn't have ethernet which makes it more challenging. There are USB to ethernet converters, but I suspect the original poster doesn't have one.