Forum Discussion

Sidrich
New Contributor
7 years ago

Outgoing Email Problems

I am running Windows 7 and using Outlook 2007 for my email. For most of the past week and still continuing, Outlook has been able to receive emails but unable to send emails and continually - like over and over again - pops up the Enter Network Password window. I have entered the correct user name and password, clicked Cancel and just closed the window to no effect. It just keep popping up over all other windows and interrupts typing. The only way to stop it is to close Outlook. I have made all of the required port changes to conform to the new requirements. I have chatted with Cox support people already. I have gotten no satisfactory responses. I believe this is a Cox problem not mine. I'm sure others a running into this. Anybody know if Cox has seen and acknowledged this problem and if they have an ETA for a fix?
    Darkwater23
    New Contributor

I've been having the same problem as the OP. My phone keeps prompting me to re-enter my credentials and my Sent folder doesn't show any outbound messages, but my receiptients are receiving messages from me.

Lame!

StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    SheLetGo,

Are you using any other devices to get your email? If so, are you using the same incoming server on each device? For example, are all the incoming server POP or IMAP or are you using different servers on different devices?

• I'm having similar problems.  Again.  It's been a persistent, sporadic issue for *YEARS.*  I've been a Cox customer for just over 20 years, and I'm nearing the end of my rope.

I changed my server settings back in February to reflect the new security measures and updated my passwords at that time.  Everything worked okay until last week - a whole 9 weeks without a problem!  Woo-hoo!

Last week, my phone began having trouble connecting to the email servers, continually prompting for my password and refusing to retrieve messages.   The same began happening on my desktop at the same time.  The phone has quit doing it, but my desktop continues.  Sometimes it doesn't even accept the password, and I'm just forced to go without my messages for a while.

Nothing has changed on my end since I updated the settings and changed my password to the required settings.

This is ridiculous.  I'm slowly migrating all my email subscriptions to Gmail; when I'm finished with that, the only thing keeping me with Cox will be the dearth of competition in Internet service providers.  Once that changes, it'll be a struggle to justify my continued patronage.

ColleenD
      Snidelywhiplash, If your phone is working with the exact same settings without incident there is something else going on at the PC or with Outlook on the device. Since our initial email security change there has been an update to the required settings. Please visit www.cox.com/secureemail again and follow the guided help to verify your Outlook settings. -Colleen
    b00st3d
    New Contributor

Hi everyone, my issue was resolved after changing my password to something completely different for a second time. The first time I changed my password to something just slightly different than my original and I continued to have problems sending mail through Outlook. After it was suggested by Cox support, I changed my password again to something completely different and everything cleared up completely after.

BobCou
    New Contributor

After the first of the year , every couple of days some of my email accounts had been set to Inactive without any notification. I then had to Reactivate them, but then they will get inactivated again in a day or two. I contacted the Chat Lines  about five times but they only say there were some Email server problems but they do not know why my Email Accounts were randomly set to Inactive. I tried resetting the Passwords , sending to all accounts email from my Gmail account, and making sure Outlook was accessing and checking all the Email Accounts every day or more, but they were still set to inactive

About a month ago , my Email Accounts stopped being set to Inactive but I still  check daily to see if the Accounts are inactive and then reactivate them if needed. I would be good to get some feedback on why this is happening and when it will be fixed will be sent as a notification to all Cox Email Users.

In any case, this might be the reasons why some have Outgoing and/or Incoming issues. Check to see if your  Email Accounts have been set to Inactive by logging in with the Main User and go to Profile/User Accounts to see if they have been set to Inactive