Forum Discussion

honda4life117
New Contributor
7 days ago

Packet Loss at langbprj01-ae1.rd.la.cox.net

Been trying to troubleshoot why I have been experienced severe lag and rubber-banding in Diablo 4.  On Blizzard's support page, I worked through running a pathping and a traceroute to diagnose, but once I ran PingPlotter, this seemed to point to issues with the Cox network and not an issue with Battle.net or my hardware.  The game is almost completely unplayable as several times a minute I lose sync and cannot proceed any further until the game re-syncs. 

I don't understand why this is happening over a Fiber connection.  Screenshot below for what PingPlotter is seeing.

I've seen a few other similar posts on these forums that have occurred over the last few years that are similar to this one.  Doesn't seem like Cox has addressed this issue?  The only solution that would seem to work is switching internet providers entirely.  

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

7 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

I reviewed your ping plot, and I think you may have misconstrued the information it's showing. If you think about it, based on your conclusion, the last hop that shows google services is a 100% packet loss, is your problem. A ping, is the lowest form of communication, and if a Router is busy, it will not respond to a ping request, since it's busy fulfilling it's primary function of routing data. 

Additionally, the hop you point to as an issue as well as the next one, when it responded to your ping request, did so in under 20 thousandth's of a second. That's phenomenal. 

Blizzard has done you a disservice suggesting that the ping requests and traceroutes are a good method of determining lag. The ONLY thing that a traceroute can determine is the route your data is taking. As to WHERE the disconnect is taking place, it's difficult to determine. 

See if Blizzard has another server you can try to access, that may have a different route for your data, and see if it's an issue. Also, ensure your gaming system, be it a console or PC, is connected via ethernet, and not WiFi. WiFi can be interfered with by Cordless keyboards and Mice, Game Controllers, Baby Monitors, Bluetooth devices, Microwave Ovens, RC Toys, Garage Door Openers, all of your neighbors devices as well as their wireless routers, as well as EMI and RF from fluorescent lights, and other things. Use a program called WiFi analyzer on an android phone. It will show you the WiFi routers around you, the bands they are on, as well as their relative strengths. 

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

Nevermind that we're also talking about gaming traffic here.  Even the online gaming providers seemingly don't care if the service works properly.  Add in all of the layoffs in the tech/gaming industries and there's simply no incentive to investigate.

I recently heard somebody describe eSports as 10% gaming, 20% LED/RGB lighting, and 70% money laundering.

ExtraChrispy
    Contributor III

For the record, I don't think this result is actually showing packet loss.  You seem to be able to reach hop# 10 without any loss suggesting that this is showing ICMP de-prioritization.  The last hop having 100% loss is likely rejecting ICMP entirely.

Whatever the issue may be I don't think these results are showing it

Marius07031
    New Contributor

I'm having the same exact issue in zip code 85027. Packet loss and inconsistent connection for over a month now. Congestion in the area and the techs that come out just say my signal is good and nothing is wrong but there definitely is. My internet cut out last night at midnight and I was hoping they would fix the issue but still not fixed! its the same server that i get 65 to 80% packet loss on 68.1.13

honda4life117
      New Contributor

Seems to imply there is something more systemic going on that is likely not a failure of the home network equipment.  Are you experiencing this with Blizzard games as well or is it on other applications?

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!

• Hi, there. I will be happy to look into that for you. Please email my team at cox.help@cox.com so we can obtain account details and review further.

Thank you.