Forum Discussion

PS007
New Contributor
2 years ago

Second Router installation in external Garage

Trying to hook up a router in my external all steel garage.....I currently have the panoramic combo Modem/Router in the house and trying to connect a RAX54S Nighthawk in the garage. I have Cat 6 cable already ran to the building but the Nighthawk will not connect to internet....any suggestions?

PS007
      New Contributor

I tried that but still nothing

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Do you get online if you connect a PC to the ethernet in the garage? Maybe it is terminated wrong. Are you using the WAN or LAN port on the router?

PS007
    New Contributor

I did not change the IP address.....I will check that in the morning. Thanks for the fast response!

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

No problem! I pulled up the manual and seems the default IP for that model is 192.168.1.1 already so there should be no conflict. Make sure you are using the WAN port on the router and then check if it is getting a WAN IP using the Netgear app.

PS007
    New Contributor

Thanks again......It seemed like it attached for a few seconds and then quit....I am not near it so I cannot check till morning. I was thinking something has to be changed on the Cox Router to make it work

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I don't see what. The Cox router should see it just like any other device. You don't have the gateway in bridge mode do you? I will be sure to check back tomorrow morning.

PS007
    New Contributor

Never have changed anything on the Cox Router....still set as delivered from Cox

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

The only thing I can think that would help is adding a DHCP reservation for the AP's IP however that doesn't seem possible with the Cox Panoramic gateway. That might explain why it worked for a bit then stopped.

• Adding a router to a router is technically possible but requires understanding of the TCP/IP protocol and basic routing/subnetting to get it to work properly.  If you have a spare router you wish to use as a remote access point, one way you can mitigate this TCP/IP knowledge requirement is to connect it via one of the LAN or switched ports.  Very often, you can get a spare router to work as an access point only via this method.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

The router the OP mentions has a AP operation mode. See instructions in the first link I gave. As long as you are using DHCP you shouldn't need any routing/subnet knowledge. Can you explain? Are you basically saying it is user error?

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

If the nitehawk is setup as an access point, there should be no issues. The nitehawk will pass through ALL dhcp requests to the pano modem If another device is working on that ethernet wire, then try doing a factory reset on your new router, then login and setup as an Access Point, BEFORE connecting it to the ethernet. 

Okijames
    New Contributor II

Which port did you use on the Nighhawk?  For most devices of that type, when uses in AP mode, you need to use LAN/Switch side ports instead of WAN ports.  

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I think it depends on the device and configuration. I know on my Asus RT-AC1900P in AP mode I am using the WAN port. There are actually two ways to run a router as a AP and I think your talking about the old-school method. See discussion here for more info.

PS. Thanks for helping out here on the forums. Not many stick around after posting their problems. Welcome!

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III
    external all steel garage

How long is the Ethernet cable?