Forum Discussion

neguana
New Contributor
23 days ago

Split Band toggle switch missing

I've spent an unreasonable amount of time chatting with Cox Technical Support to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on my Panoramic Wifi Router in order to control certain devices in my home that require the 2.4 (the device literally won't let you connect to the dual band steering SSIN, and I can't guarantee my phone and device on the same band without manual control). 

According to this Cox Support page it is possible to split the bands on the Android version of the Cox Panoramic Wifi App (there is a setting under the Edit Wifi Settings, listed as Step 5) that no longer exists. It stops at Broadcast Wifi Name, there are no further settings below that, only Save. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app in case it was not working properly, no new settings appeared.

Tech Support split the bands for me (technically my goal), but then when I requested the ability to manage this myself in the future, I was directed to the Pano Wifi App, to the setting that does not exist. I continued to explain that the setting is not there. They directed me to that missing setting numerous times, and then to the Gateway Router page, which directs you back to the Pano Wifi app to make any changes. I've been escalated to the same, useless instructions.

I am on the most ridiculous merry go round, and feel that the technical support information on the Cox Website and their tech support staff are not adequately updated and informed. This should be an option for the consumer to access to manage their own network. I would very much appreciate any input and options to be restored regarding this issue.

• All you need to do to split the bands, is to give a different SSID name to each band. call the 2.4 BAND1, the 5.0 BAND2, (or whatever you want to name them), and they are split. 

It IS however unnecessary, as keeping them the same name allows each to device to autoconnect to the best band. IF a device ONLY has 2.4, it will ONLY see the 2.4 and connect to the 2.4. Anyone who tells you that having a 5ghz device with the same ssid will cause the 2,4 not to connect doesn't know what they are talking about. If a device can ONLY see 2.4 it doesn't matter if you have 5ghz, and in my case 6 ghz as well, all with the same name, because it can ONLY see and talk to 2.4. The others don't matter, because they are completely different frequencies and the 2.4 only ghz device will ONLY see and talk to the other 2.4ghz device. 

Example. I have an RAXE300 netgear router, that has 2.4, 5 AND 6ghz frequencies. ALL with the same name, (Which wifi 6 devices will tell you to do). My Blink doorbell camera which is 2.4 sees the router and talks to it without issue, as does my upstairs tv, again older model and only has 2.4. The other frequencies, even with the same name CANNOT interfere, as they are completely unseen., 

BTW, I am a network engineer, AND used to work for Cox for 16 years, and I wrote WiFi guides back in the day as well, so I know what I am talking about. I also used to beta test for Linksys, YEARS ago. 

Additionally, for your FYI, the new WiFi 6 and 7 devices, will tell you to have all bands with the same name, and they will auto steer as necessary. 

Jaxpony
    New Contributor

Here is the website for Cox where you can make changes outside the app.  http://192.168.0.1/index.jst

neguana
      New Contributor

This is the message I get if I attempt to make changes via the Gateway.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

All you need to do to split the bands, is to give a different SSID name to each band. call the 2.4 BAND1, the 5.0 BAND2, (or whatever you want to name them), and they are split. 

It IS however unnecessary, as keeping them the same name allows each to device to autoconnect to the best band. IF a device ONLY has 2.4, it will ONLY see the 2.4 and connect to the 2.4. Anyone who tells you that having a 5ghz device with the same ssid will cause the 2,4 not to connect doesn't know what they are talking about. If a device can ONLY see 2.4 it doesn't matter if you have 5ghz, and in my case 6 ghz as well, all with the same name, because it can ONLY see and talk to 2.4. The others don't matter, because they are completely different frequencies and the 2.4 only ghz device will ONLY see and talk to the other 2.4ghz device. 

Example. I have an RAXE300 netgear router, that has 2.4, 5 AND 6ghz frequencies. ALL with the same name, (Which wifi 6 devices will tell you to do). My Blink doorbell camera which is 2.4 sees the router and talks to it without issue, as does my upstairs tv, again older model and only has 2.4. The other frequencies, even with the same name CANNOT interfere, as they are completely unseen., 

BTW, I am a network engineer, AND used to work for Cox for 16 years, and I wrote WiFi guides back in the day as well, so I know what I am talking about. I also used to beta test for Linksys, YEARS ago. 

Additionally, for your FYI, the new WiFi 6 and 7 devices, will tell you to have all bands with the same name, and they will auto steer as necessary. 

neguana
      New Contributor

Hi Darkatt, thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, here is the issue with your resolution.

Your instructions state "Give a different SSID name to each band." Prior to me reaching out to Cox Technical Support (TS), there was only ever one band listed for my Panoramic Wifi Modem/Router, which is a Cox product (versus your Netgear router). The Gateway manager for the router does not allow you to edit any SSID or anything else really, directing you to the Cox Wifi App. When opening the Cox Wifi App, there was no Split Band option. The only reason you see the 5GHz WiFi band in my picture is because Cox TS manually split these for me.

If I wanted them combined again for steering, I cannot do so myself. There is no option in the Gateway manager OR the Cox Wifi App. This is the issue I am requesting assistance with, why this option is not available to the consumer. I will follow up via email, but am replying to your comment as it was marked as Solution, and the problem is NOT solved and will not be until the Split Band option is returned to the Cox Wifi App options like the troubleshooting article indicates.

Using your example of the Blink Camera, here's why this was an issue for me. The device that I am using (like your Blink Camera, referred here as "Device") is controlled via app on my Mobile phone, and because my Mobile can see all bands and will likely steer to the 5GHz band whenever possible, there was no way to "force" both the Device and Mobile to the same band. This may be a design flaw of the device, but my Device would not connect to the network before I had the bands split. Just flat out said something like "it looks like you may be on a steering network, connect to a 2.4 only band." I'm not here trying to change the functionality of the device, I have a very simple solution which is to split the bands and force connection of the Device and Mobile on the same one. I want to be able to re-integrate them myself when I'm done using this device, and cannot seem to get a direct answer about why this isn't an option. I'm hopeful the issue is resolved by emailing TS but I would appreciate any feedback if I am not using the right terminology to describe my issue, otherwise folks keep solving for the wrong part of the equation..

• Hi, there. I'm really sorry for the issues with disabling the band steering on your panoramic gateway. I want to help. Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We should be able to make the changes for you here remotely. 

neguana
      New Contributor

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply. Before I email with the information, can you clarify if you mean that the resolution will be to provide the Split Band Toggle Switch to my App, or are you suggesting there would be help splitting the two bands again? Because I do not need them split again, I want control over managing my own home network. In order to do this, the app needs to be updated to include this option.
      I do not believe you need my physical address in order to accomplish this resolution.

HeatherS

Hello Neguana. We would want to review your account to determine if this is an account-specific concern or not. Either way, we would need your account to report it, or to share your feedback. Billing, account, and some service issues require the sharing of sensitive information to resolve which isn't best suited for a public forum. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name, complete street address, the details of your concern, and a link to this post. You can also reach us on Twitter/X  @CoxHelp, or visit us on Facebook. Thank you