Forum Discussion

jimfed67
New Contributor II
7 years ago

Constantly have to reset receiver

I pay almost $300 a month for Cox services. Why am I constantly having to reset my receiver? Can I take this piece of garbage to a COX store and exchange it for one that actually works without a hassle??

darob
    New Contributor

I can't find a setting for an automatic reboot??

BrianBB
    New Contributor

For auto daily reboot:

click on Contour button

'gear' icon ( to the right of apps)

settings

preferences

general

daily update time (default) 2:00 am to 4:00 am

don;t forget to click on 'confirm' before you exit

Why doesn't Cox make this process available on their website?

Now maybe you can help me:  how do I use the remote to go back a page?  Seems that when I;m done with something, I need to click on "Contour" and start over.

i_cut_the_cord
    New Contributor II

See BrianBB's response for how to change the "update"/reboot time. You can only change the time from the menu. You cannot set it to not reboot or skip the reboot.

If you are WATCHING at the time of the reboot, you will get a message offering to skip the reboot. You can do this for two days in a row, and then you do not get a choice.

There MAY be a model that does not reboot every night. When I took my last replacement box to the Solutions Center for replacement, I was first given the same model yet again. I was told they did not have the Arris model that I had been promised they had. They offered a different Cisco Contour 2 model that does not have the voice remote. I was told by the rep that THAT model does not reboot every night. But I cannot verify that, because that's when I cancelled my service in disgust.

BTW, I asked if - given no voice remote - the cost would be the same. The answer was "yes". They said "we give this model to people who are having trouble with reboots".

Well... EVERYBODY has trouble with reboots, if you pay attention. I imagine, though, most people don't pay attention. The reboot will reset the picture and sound settings. Somehow, even with all of the posts here confirming that, no Cox rep has ever acknowledged that.

I am a software engineer. A nightly reboot means one thing. Some pointy-haired boss made an "executive decision" to do add nightly reboot due to buggy software. It is a desperation measure.

----

Four days without cable TV and loving it! Enjoying the crystal-clear picture of the local over-the-air channels that is SO much better than what Cox delivers with it's over-compression, and auditioning over-the-top services for "cable channels". Still on Cox Internet.

i_cut_the_cord
    New Contributor II

Oh, forgot to add this. On the remote, you go back up a level in the menu with "Last". It's not an intuitive word choice, and I've never found an IR code for it, so I had to suffer with having to crawl through the menus again if controlling with my SimpleControl Remote app on iPad.

darob
    New Contributor

I received an email asking for some additional information, which I sent, Only to have the email rejected..  Go figure

i_cut_the_cord
    New Contributor II

"I received an email asking for some additional information, which I sent, Only to have the email rejected..  Go figure"

I'm not surprised.

Cox's biggest customer-support problem is their utter lack of effective internal (and I guess external, too) communication.

If known issues were effectively communicated internally, they would probably eliminate HALF (or more) of their service calls.

In my case, I should have been told that the resetting of the picture and sound settings every evening is an inherent limitation of the box, that there is no fix for it, and that they hope to get an update soon. And then there should actually be some effort to fix the problem.

Instead, they sent out FOUR technicians, wasting my time and theirs, and ultimately lost a TV customer of 25 years.

They seldom read the notes on the account, typically focusing on some side-issue, or just the most recent note (Trumpian!) So, you have to explain it all over again with each person you talk to, and beg them to read the notes.

I suspect their reps are rushed. I did get a chuckle out of one rep when I mentioned "the guy at the end of the row with the whip", and told him I'd been in call centers and know what it's like...