Forum Discussion

rcgldr
New Contributor
2 months ago

Contour 2 DVR losing recordings

This has been going on ever since we switched form Contour 1 to Contour 2. The hardware is the same, Cisco 9865HDC (both Contour 1 and Contour 2). 

In our case, the problems occur whenever we schedule | record major tennis events, and more recently Paris 2024 Olympics. According to tier 2 support, the same issue occurs for Cox customers doing the same for golf events. The current issue we are experience is with the US open tennis tournament. These problems started when we switched from Contour 1 to Contour 2, Replacing the DVR did not help. 3 related issues:

1 - I scheduled the DVR to record all new US open tennis events. If there are two channels showing different matches at the same time, one of the channels will not get scheduled to be recorded. An example of this is today (August 28, 2024), ESPN - channel 15 and ESPN2 - channel 16 have live coverage starting at 4 pm west coast time (6 pm east coast time). But 16 was not scheduled to be recorded.

2 - Scheduled recordings are getting lost on the day of the scheduled recording. Again using the example from above, the scheduled recording of US open on ESPN - channel 15 at 4 pm on August 28, 2024 showed as scheduled to be recorded as late as August 27, 2024, but bit after midnight, at the start of August 28, 2024, the guide no longer showed that program as being scheduled. The DVR gets reset at 3 am, not at midnight, so this issue was unrelated to a DVR reset.

For the first 2 issues, I record individual programs, which show up on the guide as scheduled to be recorded with a single red dot, as opposed to the series 3 red dots, which are getting lost.

3 - Single or series recordings are failing to get recorded. I can check the guide to verify that a program is scheduled to be recorded 1 or 2 hours before the recording should start, but sometimes the recording never starts. If I happen to notice the DRVs' red recording light did not turn on, I can manually record the remainder of the program, but will have lost the part before I started the manual recording.

Again, these problems started with the change to Contour 2, and have been occurring going back at least to Jan 2023 (Australian tennis open), and probably back to sometime in 2022, for any of the major tennis tournaments. There was also some loss of recordings for the 2024 Paris Olympics, all 3 same issues.

• My Contour is an old Arris with slightly different problems.  Cox wants to replace it but I'm glad I didn't since your new Cisco unit didn't fix your problems.  I'm convinced a lot of problems reported here that go back many years are software issues, not hardware issues.  I may write a book about all the annoyances with Cox software that make me grumpy.