Forum Discussion

MasterMyDomain
Contributor
12 days ago

Does a DVR have reports like cable modems?

Is there a DVR report similar to one available at a cable modem’s IP address that shows power status, signal to noise ratios, event logs, etc.?  On a recent visit the Tech said my DVR was probably failing but he did check the signal, filter, and splitters which seemed to improve things slightly.  My DVR is an old Arris AX013NC.

Today had a unique series of events that happened while I was watching and I took notes.  The daily update happened on schedule and finished a little faster than usual at 9:00 AM.  At noon the picture froze for a minute or two, then the DVR rebooted (a mini-box on the same channel had no problems).  While the DVR was rebooting I went to my Cox account for TV support and it said no equipment was connected.  Just before the DVR finished it flashed a couple of codes just before the clock came on.  It wasn’t the 8888 & 3 lights I’ve seen before but they went away before I could write them down.  Since the daily update had already been done, I’m just curious if this was a different kind of update or caused by a lost or noisy signal, and wonder if there is a report I can access?  

Incidentally, no recordings were lost immediately after the last reboot finished, but 15 minutes later one did disappear, an old recording from 2016 or 2021 (a series I recorded parts of in different years).  A few recent deletions had been recordings made a few months ago.  I don’t need another Tech visit…I’m satisfied with the way the DVR is working, flaws and all, and am simply curious. 

MasterMyDomain
      Contributor

Wow, how did you find that?  My search didn't provide any clues. This is why you make the big bucks. 😜   I tried Becky's instructions.  Holding the Exit button down brings up "Live" then 2 down arrows & then the #2 key brings up a search list of programs.  #1, #3, etc brings up different program search lists.  The A & B buttons bring up the tools & settings menus.  I'll keep experimenting, but you've given me hope. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

An Internet search for contour dvr diagnostic tools found that forum discussion.

I know you were kidding, but for those who don't... I'm not a Cox employee.