Forum Discussion

DMingilbert
New Contributor II
13 days ago

Help with Yahoo and Outlook Transition

I began the move to yahoo on Thursday.  I use Outlook as my primary place for looking at my emails and I have a business email address directed there via my Cox email address so I can those messages and they stay separate from my personal emails.   All of my emails transferred to Yahoo, except those associated with my business email address.   Outlook, after setting up the servers is only getting my main email address and folders to show up but I have over 3200 emails that are not transferring onto Outlook from Yahoo.  My business email address and related folders and emails is no longer there.  I spent time on phone with Yahoo and Microsoft but to date both companies just want to blame the other for fact that all of my emails are not showing up in Outlook.  Can anyone help me with this issue?  The transition gets a big fat "F" in my evaluation.   To top it off, if you call into Cox, their system rolls the technical questions about emails over to Yahoo.  So I'm still missing my emails after four plus days of trying to resolve this.  I've been a customer of Cox for over 20 years.   What a way to treat loyal customers.   

6 Replies

• Hi DMingilbert. We value your 20 years of business and apologize for your inconvenience. Please email us at coxhelp@cox.net for further support. 

DMingilbert
      New Contributor II

I did this several days ago and was told by the Cox person that replied that since by emails transferred to Yahoo that Cox was unable to help.  Really nice customer service.  I’ve got most systems working now but still missing a years worth of emails through Outlook.  

• Solved for Outlook IMAP:  I was struggling but got Outlook to work. I had to go into the new yahoo account via the web and went to security settings to turn on Multi-Factor authentication and then to Generate and manage app passwords.  Then in Outlook I added a new account with File->Email Accounts->New.  Use your email ending in Cox.net. Make sure to click on Advance settings and check the box ‘Let me set up my account manually’. The password to use is the one you generated in the yahoo security section on the web page.  Hit connect.  It will fail and you need to click ‘Change Account Settings’.  Change the Incoming Mail Server to imap.mail.yahoo.com, and change the outgoing mail server to smtp.mail.yahoo.com  Click next and make sure you see your Cox.net email address and click the eye to make sure the password is the generated one from the yahoo security page. Click connect and it should show connected to imap for your account and be in the left side of the outlook bar with email accounts

DMingilbert
      New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply and I’ve done all of this. Still missing the same emails in Outlook. Interestingly they show up in Yahoo, but not transferring to Outlook.  Even stranger is the fact that I’m getting new emails. And I can send them.  Just missing from May 1st 2024 to April 19, 2023 on Outlook. But earlier that April 2024 I’m getting. Thanks though. 

felidaej
    New Contributor

I agree, this has been a complete, utter mess on Cox's part, and such a reduction in service (not cost of course) to customers. I too have always used Outlook. Tonight, after spending FIVE HOURS on the phone with Yahoo support, she was able to get my Outlook to retrieve Cox emails, but she had to rename all of my folders and subfolders to get them to show up once more in Outlook. They're now a jumbled, disorganized mess on BOTH Outlook and Yahoo.

I used to check my cox email through Gmail, but am suddenly unable to do that anymore. The Yahoo rep told me they won't help with that. Does anyone know whether it's still possible to access our migrated accounts via Gmail?

At this point, I'm SO thoroughly disgusted with Cox (been with them for 20 years), I think it's time to vote with my feet and explore other internet providers. I think T-Mobile offers internet, and there's always Comcast. Not happy with Yahoo and its clunkiness so far either, so I'm going to back things up and just start switching everything over to Gmail. At least they are reliable!