Forum Discussion

duklug
New Contributor
3 years ago

Arris tm3402 constant connection loss on WAN port (no DHCP lease)

I'm having an issue where my Arris TM3402 modem is constantly dropping the internet connection to my router.  It happens mostly at night between 12am-6am, where I wake up and internet is gone, but also has been happening constantly during the day while I'm working

When it happens:

-I have to reboot the modem to regain access (sometimes multiple times and sometimes it takes a long time before it comes back after repetitive reboots).

-All of the lights on the front of the modem are lit, indicating the cable connection is established, the phone line works just fine, but the WAN port on the back has zero activity or lights, and my router has no DHCP lease or WAN IP address

I've been reading forums and understand this is voltage bug issue on the intel chipset - see link at https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/29453/arries-tm3402 where a cox moderator confirmed this.

Below is the info on my modem (as I understand it the HW_REV 7 is the problem):

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.1 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem
HW_REV: 7
VENDOR: ARRIS Group, Inc.
BOOTR: 2.2.23.635901
SW_REV: 11.02.095.SIP.PC20
MODEL: TM3402A
Firmware Name: TS11.02.095_030921_711.PC20.03.X1
Firmware Build Time: Tue Mar 9 18:50:24 EST 2021
Open Source: View Open Source Attribution

I have swapped it once already with the local Cox store due to the same issue, only for it to return.  This was prior to my knowledge of the HW7 issue. I called the local cox store here and they stated there is no way to tell what HW REV they have in store, just that they'll swap it again.  

I would like to have a HW REV 8 shipped to me as a replacement if possible.

Assistance is appreciate as this issue is very persistent and causing constant disruptions in my daily work

Thanks!

DavidA2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Duklug,

I am sorry to hear that your connection keeps getting dropped. The last thing we want is for your work to be impacted by a service issue. Since you have already swapped the modem, it may be an issue with the signal to the modem. We would be happy to take a deeper look into that with you. Before we do that, we ask that you email us at cox.help@cox.com with your service address and a link to this forum thread. We want your service to work the way it is supposed to.

David
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      duklug
      New Contributor

I did email that address and a tech is coming out today to take a look at the lines.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What’s the difference between the TM3402 and the TM3402A?  In the referenced post, Bryaninphx exchanged the problematic TM3402A but unsure if replacement is also the A-model.

Is your replacement also the TM3402A?

duklug
      New Contributor

Not sure of difference, but my replacement is exactly the same:

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.1 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem

HW_REV: 7
      VENDOR: ARRIS Group, Inc.
      BOOTR: 2.2.23.635901
      SW_REV: 11.02.095.SIP.PC20
      MODEL: TM3402A

Firmware Build and Revisions
      Firmware Name: TS11.02.095_030921_711.PC20.03.X1
      Firmware Build Time: Tue Mar 9 18:50:24 EST 2021

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I'm unsure of the problem.  Per the referenced post when I had a problem with mine, I just replaced it with my previous DOCSIS 3.0 and haven't had problems since.  Bryaninphx fixed after 1 replacement and you...hopefully...after 2 replacements.  These are mostly refurbished.