Forum Discussion

connormahoney25
New Contributor II
7 years ago

Can I use 2 modems?

If I have the preferred 100 (100mbps dwnld and 10mbps upload) can I add a second Modem in the house and still receive coverage? I am currently only using 1 modem but I would like to have a second one in my room so that I can plug into that one directly through ethernet and still have the wireless coverage from my Router throughout my apartment.

Thanks for the help!! :)

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You should only have 1 modem because you only have 1 primary communications feed to your house.  That feed is a terminal outside your house.  You could pay for another feed or split the feed, but I don't think that's what you want to do.

The modem acts as a synchronizer between the network of your service provider and your home network.  The 2 networks have different speeds and protocols so the modem modulates/demodulates, speeds-up/speeds-down, converts/de-converts your communications signals.

In addition to being a synchronizer, modems can also include other functions, such as a telephone modem and a home router.  Whether you have an all-in-one modem or standalone modem, the router connected to the modem is your Main router.

I think you meant another router...not another modem (or another all-in-one device).  Yes, you can add another router in your house.  That'd be a Secondary router.

The question is:  how would you connect the Secondary to the Main router?  You could connect with a wire or with radio signals.  Can you run a wire from your bedroom to the Main router?  If you could run a wire, you wouldn't need the router because you could just connect your laptop to the wire.

If no wire, then you'd have to connect wirelessly.  Ensuring a strong signal is another story.  If that's how you want to go, let us know.

Jim_Bainter
    New Contributor II

Yes you can, as I do!

You can use an item like the TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT to extend your ether net cable connection say to your room to another router used in AP (Access Point) mode. The AP modem wireless feature can be turned on to provide a second WI-FI access area thus extending WI-FI thought out the house. Hope this makes sense.

connormahoney25
      New Contributor II

My modem is the Arris Surfboard Cable Modem SB6141 and my router is a Netgear AC1000 Dual Band.

My Arris Modem only has 1 ethernet cable port which I have plugged in directly to my router so that I can get wifi throughout my apartment. 

About the TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT.... I watched a couple videos and it looks like everyone who uses them plug one into their modem and then the other one into the wall plug in the room they need faster connection in.

Would I be able to plug this into my Router instead of the modem? My router has multiple ethernet ports but my modem only has 1 which has to be plugged into my router.

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,

Connor Mahoney

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Yes, you'd plug your network extender directly to your router....not your modem.  Perhaps the videos were demonstrating with an all-in-one modem.