Forum Discussion

Mjspivey42
New Contributor
2 months ago

$100 Proconnect Charge with no warning

I recently became a Cox customer and when I received my modem I went to set it up myself. I followed the instructions perfectly however it was not working. So, I followed the instructions which told me to call the support line. I did and the person on the phone was nice but when I described the problem they instantly told me they were just going to send someone out to get it set up. I was completely open to listening to further instructions but they told me that they were just going to send someone out because they couldn’t help me. The technician came and set it up and it turned out that the problem was out of my control and had to do with the building but they fixed it. On my most recent bill I received a $100 charge for the service of the technician. I was never told about there being a charge and I really never asked for them to send someone out they just told me they were sending someone. This to me seems like deceptive business practice so I contacted support asking if they could have it waived and they flat out just told me no and stopped responding. This just seems not right to me and I don’t understand the justification of charging me $100 for a service that they said was the only thing to do and not telling me about the charge. Does anyone know if there’s a way for me to get this charge waived? I was potentially going to switch my phone plan over to them in the future but if I have to pay this charge then I’m simply not going to do that and will end up canceling my internet service and going to a competitor so I don’t see how making me pay this makes any business sense for them.

• Hi, there. I'm so sorry for the poor experience you've had from our support and I also want to apologize for the lack of explanation. The "self install" option would only apply if you are able to complete the install yourself and does not require a technician to visit the residence. I do apologize that was not properly explained to you and I do want to help. As the purpose of the Cox community forums is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox services with other customers, we encourage our users to assist each other where possible via this avenue. Billing and issues related to a specific account require the sharing of sensitive information to resolve which isn't best suited for a public forum. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name, complete street address, the details of your concern and a link to this post. I am glad to look into this for you. 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Call Cox and request to speak to someone in CAG. They can request the supervisor of the person you spoke to to pull the call, (All calls are recorded), and listen to it, as the agent is supposed to alert you to the possibility of a 100$ service charge. 

Also, if your internet is working well, phone service will to, and if modem is a cox Modem and it doesn't have phone service capability, can be swapped for one that does. If the modem is your personal modem, Cox will provide you a phone/internet modem at no charge. (Please note it's not a pano modem. IF you are using a modem and stand alone router, then you want the Cox PHONE/Modem, and NOT the pano modem, since the regular phone modem is no charge). The Cox Telephone modem, is one of the finest modems I have used for internet, and your router will connect directly to it. IF you already have the PANO modem though, the telephone service is nothing more than connecting your phone directly to the T-1 port (Telephone 1) on the back and requesting phone service from Cox.