Forum Discussion

baileylhall
New Contributor
6 years ago

Constant internet disconnects/reconnects - Gigablast plan

Hello,

I am reaching out because we have attempted everything we possibly can on our end to ensure a stable internet connection, but there are still frequent disconnects from day to day.

These disconnections appear at any given time in the day, regardless of the amount of devices in use or the current bandwidth usage. When it disconnects it occurs on all devices.

Waiting roughly 5-10 minutes the connection will come back online, but the frequency of it has become an issue.

Equipment:
Netgear CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem
Asus RT-AC68U (AC1900) Router

I have verified the firmware is up to date on both pieces of equipment.

When the internet disconnects, the modem shows that the upstream, downstream, and the internet itself is connected. This only lasts for about 4-5 minutes until they reset, downstream then reconnects, upstream reconnects, and finally the internet reconnects and the overall connection to devices return.
The problem can also be immediately resolved by pressing the reset button on the back of the modem

When looking at the routers system log, the error that keeps appearing is:
"WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

Lastly, during these interruptions, I have disconnected the router and put the main ethernet line directly into my computer and despite the modem displaying the proper signals for connection, there was none.
This will once again last  roughly 4-5 minutes and the lights cycle themselves, and the connection returns.

At this point, it feels as though Cox just cannot maintain a solid connection for their Gigablast plan in our area. (Mesa, AZ)
I have called in about this, but alas they just reset the modem (of course it will work after as we have experimented with this here) and they called it fine and moved on with their day without much more support.

For the price this plan is, there should not be these kinds of issues. If anyone could provide additional assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Any requests for additional information regarding the situation I will attempt to provide as quickly as possible.

Thanks

• Hi Baileylhall, I suggest a service call so an on-site technician can resolve the upstream and downstream signal issues affecting your connectivity. If you'd like my team to schedule an appointment for you, please email your full name, address, and a link to this thread to cox.help@cox.com. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator