Forum Discussion

Email_Inbox_Err
New Contributor
7 years ago

Email Inbox Error 127.0.0.1

After three conversations with Cox customer service, I am still getting this same inbox error with no supplied remedy:

Error

Folder "INBOX" has been closed on mail server 127.0.0.1. Probably your request took too long.

Through my research, I've found that it has been an existing issue with other users since at least as far back as July 2017. Why hasn't a fix been identified yet? I use my email for business and I'm losing money daily because of this issue.

Who else has experienced this problem and what, if any, was the solution? The recommendation from customer support was ridiculously unacceptable: "Wait a few days and if it's still not working, contact us again."

17 Replies

• Hi Frizzy, are you able to login to Web Mail on our website and send/receive email from there?
  • No, webmail doesn't work any better than the direct download to an email app from the Cox server. From what I've experienced, some email can be sent, but any received email gets locked up in the error.

• Hi Frizzy,

The workaround that Allan had mentioned involves setting up auto-forwarding of emails from the Cox server to another email address. Somehow it works because the incoming emails forward directly to the other address before they land in the Cox inbox and get sucked into its black hole.

Here are the steps:

- Sign into your Cox Webmail account

- Go to Settings (upper right pull-down menu with the "gear" icon)

- The Settings window will appear on the left; Click on "Inbox" and more options will be listed

- Click on "Auto Forward" and type in your preferred email account that is NOT a Cox account (e.g. gmail, yahoo, etc.) and click the "Enable" check box below it

All your new incoming emails should now forward to the specified email account. Unfortunately, any past emails are still in Cox's black hole until they fix this problem sometime in the next century.

• Also, when Cox Customer Support says something like, "email is free," that's a real cop-out -- it's not free, it's an INCLUDED service that you pay for with your account fees. If it were free, it wouldn't cost anything if you didn't pay for any other Cox services. Reference moderator TiffanyR's response a few years ago:

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/t/3552.aspx

Whatever that stand-alone, email service cost is should be the minimum amount of a credit that we should be getting back on our monthly bills for the email not working all this time, and our time spent in trying to find a solution. It's over three weeks now, for me.

M_Craft
    New Contributor

Same here since February 2, 2018.  Same issue, Same error messages.

M_Craft
    New Contributor

Stuck with Cox as there is no other internet provider.  Just like the electricity and water company here, they have you by the short hairs.

zenia
    New Contributor

Not true....Outlook gets email from Cox server..  If Cox server is closed then no emails are moved over to Outlook.