Forum Discussion

ohub
New Contributor II
8 months ago

Extreme speed drop at night

I've been experience significant speed drops in the evening.  Great speeds in the early morning (near my gigabit download speeds).  Have the PW8 modem (for free during a two year deal).  Cox's own wifi app shows 28 Mbps down right now.  Speed test app show 25.9 down and 115 Mbps upload - so the upload channels are fine and dandy.

Last during the day speed test was 11/5 at around 10:30 AM (I work from home).  931 Mbps down, 114 Mbps up.

But this evening, awful download speeds and this is not the first time this has happened.  Reported it to the cox help email; had a tech out and the said signal levels were just fine, tightened some connections, and left.  Of course they the day the come was before the "evening slowdown" after everyone gets home and starts using the network.

Anyway to get Cox to actually take a look a circuit during the "rush hour" times for network bandwidth?

11 Replies

ohub
    New Contributor II

So here is my data.  Thursday evening (before this plot ) was bad.  Friday evening a dip, not advertised speeds, but still fine for things.  Saturday at noon - download bandwidth plummeted.  Around 3 PM yesterday, fine again.  Then about 8 PM, downloads were bad again.  Right, now all is good.  Note - I have published an app with the live data (speed test run at the top of the hour, with a couple on the half hour in the evenings.  I can run by hand and add data points too.).  

The app will let you download the data as well.    

I will send a link to the Cox help email.  Notice that the upload bandwidth is mostly fine (I have the 100 Mbps upload speed) , just the downloads go to heck.   I'm on a PW8 modem, but all these tests are run directly connected to the PW8 via ethernet on a machine with wifi turned off.  

When it is bad, the cox Wifi app speedtest reports the same really bad numbers, and asks helpfully to reboot my modem (which does not help).  

zxmcbv
      New Contributor

ohub this is a really great chart!  Can I ask for your advise please what is needed so I can do the same monitoring?

ohub
        New Contributor II

I'm a software dev and this is a R/Shiny dashboard app that pulls data from a file -- the file captures the automated speed test data.

zxmcbv
      New Contributor

I'm also experiencing the exact same issue you are describing here, but I have been tearing my google wifi system apart and rebuilding it over and over each time I'm seeing this happen and it's driving me insane!

zxmcbv
      New Contributor

My COX service is the same service package as yours.

ohub
    New Contributor II

I have installed a T-Mobile home internet box for backup when the Cox network goes to heck in a handbasket.  It isn't the speediest but right now - SpeedTest with the T-Mobile box on my phone yields 168 Mpbs down and 17.0Mpbs up.

Becky

Hi Ohub, to clarify, were you experiencing slow night time speeds before installing T-Mobile?

ohub
        New Contributor II

Yes -- that is one of reasons I got T-Mobile to have a as backup.  The speed tests that were not on my phone indicated are via direct ethernet connection to the panoramic modem on a machine with wifi turned off.  I think I am going to set up some hourly speedtests, and run that for a week or so and get the pattern plotted.  Just ran a speedtest - 941 Mbps down, 114 Mpbs up on a direct connected machine via ethernet - so sailing along quite speedily at the moment. 

ohub
    New Contributor II

And now, it is crashing again (8:15 PM local time now)