Forum Discussion

nedman470
New Contributor
5 years ago

gigablast upgrade - buy own hardware ?

I currently have 300 mbps and telco with an arris tg1682 router and cox mesh pods.

I want to upgrade to gigablast. I think the router need is technicolor cgm4141.

i would like to buy the new router, make sure it works, then upgrade the service.

would that work?

where can i buy the technicolor router?

thanks in advance.

• These type of units are not for sale, we only rent them. You could buy your own DOCSIS 3.1 modem and separate router though. Just be aware that you will not see gigabit speeds through wifi at this time as the technology is not quite there yet. You would see it with an ethernet connection though.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      nedman470
      New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

What DOCSIS 3.1 modem would you recommend? I could use my existing Edge router and get a set of mesh pods for wifi. But what about voip? Would I need a separate EMTA box?

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        @nedman470, if you have telephone service through Cox, we will provide you an eMTA at no cost. You could purchase a third-party wireless router and connect it to the eMTA that Cox provides, or simply purchase a separate third-party modem and still use the eMTA (both can be connected to one outlet using a splitter). Here is a list of Cox-certified modems:

www.cox.com/.../cox-certified-cable-modems.html

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator