Forum Discussion

SadDOC
New Contributor
4 years ago

INT goes out randomly, but TV still on?

Gigibit Cox fiber, their best Aries modem, 3 PCs (two hard line cat5, one WiFi.) Int with TV

Over the past week, internet has randomly turned off, though TV working fine, and modem showing correct indicators. Big PC net work test states possible security or firewall issue, wifi PC does not, just indicating not connected.

Called Cox. No outage reported in area. I ask customer service rep (CSR) to pig my modem, rep states she cannot see or detect it. No up or down indications at her end. She also cannot reset do to not being able to detect modem. Haas me unplug modem. Wait 30sec, plug back in, it resets, light indicator correct for being on net. Wifi PC not connected, big PC, tried disconnect, reconnect a few times. Still noting. CSR has me disconnect cable. I do so, and also reset router. wait a dit, router showing correct. Still noting. Let CSR know. CSR states she is going to try resetting her side and retest. About 30 sec later, I notice WiFi PC showing connected to internet. Big big still not, so I reboot big PC. Connects good.

Try to talk to CSR, she has a good CSR tone, but has cut me off many times while I try to talk, so I'm starting to get annoyed. Ask CSR about the reset she did, she states it would have nothing to do at my end or my equipment. That in it's self don't sound right to me. She starts to go into the Cox will need to send service reps out. I let her know they have been out here many times over the years, and from ground connection, through home and wires all replaced, new modem (theirs) new gaming PC, new work PC, new tablet. She then states it can also be if there are to many users on the web in my area. I state to her that is a COX issue. I asked her to let me know what level of internet service I pay for. She stated Gigiblast Fiber. I tell her then this issues is not the customers, the high end equipment, or internet account level. (She cut me off twice while I mentioned that o by the way). I then told her this conversation is not going in a good way, being cut off while trying to speak is not pleasant. As you (CSR) now state this problem is a cox issue, and I ask it to get fixed. Thank you, but our conversation is over.

Anyone ells having just the internet go out randomly and only fix is resetting modem a few times? Note: I still think the resetting of the modem is not the issue, that it's when the modem tries to ping/connect to COX network, IT out there resets and finally connects again. Which leads me to believe its something at their end, and they are not fixing the problem, and just go about blaming the customer.

(sadface)

BenS1
    Former Moderator
    HI @ SadDoc,

We definitely understand how frustrating it is to have an unreliable & unstable internet signal. Intermittent issues are always some of the hardest to troubleshoot. Are there any splitters or amplifiers that are connected to the coaxial that is screwed into the back of your modem? If so can you bypass the splitter/amplifier and plug it directly into the wall from the modem?

Ben S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
      SadDOC
      New Contributor

only splitter is the one installed by COX tech after through wall for TV box and modem.That doesn't explain why just sitting here, the CSR did something on their end, and then it came back on. But thanks for the thought.

tan22
    New Contributor

I have been having the same exact problem these past two weeks. The modem is clarly not connecting to Cox network.

tan22
    New Contributor

I had the exact same problem the past two weeks. Restting the modem is no longer helping. I even disconnected all cables from the modem and still no internet. Resetting it doesn’t help either. When I check the gateway under wifi the status is not even active. The modem itself is not broadcasting the SSID and it cannot connect to Cox’s network at all. 

BenS1
      Former Moderator
      Hi @Tan22,

It sounds like you may need to get your modem swapped out if it is one of ours. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address to set that up.

Ben S.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator