Forum Discussion

CCallahan
New Contributor
5 years ago

Internet Issues in Neighborhood...how to solve?

Lately my Cox internet has been terribly spotty and inconsistent. Our neighbors up and down our street have confirmed that it is happening to them as well. Everyone is complaining and says Cox doesn't care and won't do anything about it. My wife works from home and relies on internet for her business. She has been complaining about it for the last few months.

I have not contacted Cox yet because I have been down that road. The standard response is they don't see an issue on their end and if a service tech comes out and doesn't find anything it will cost me a service fee. Well, I'm not paying a service fee for something that is not in my home but somewhere on their network.

What is the best way to go about getting this fixed? I'm sure others have had this experience as well.

Pinkpearls
    New Contributor

We are having the exact same problem. We thought it was the Internet coverage so we went online and upgraded for the giga blast. Which is about $150 more. So the cable guy came he checked all of the Internet connections and he indicated that he found that there is a major interference somewhere within our home. After checking the Internet box in our closet looking at the cable wire connected to the TV, He came to the conclusion that “something”was interfering with the connection. That something was never clear. So he replaced the modem box with the new one which is the giga blast. Which I have since learned after the fact that the giga blast only has to do with the fast upload of items on the Internet, it has nothing to do with connection, it has nothing to do with the total number of devices, it has absolutely nothing to do with fixing the spotty connections throughout the home. After the worker left, we realize he half connected the new modem box and he left the old modem box. The end result, our Internet connection is worse now than what it was before. We are having major problems connecting several important devices within our home. We are from California, what we know for sure is that Cox is charging two times more than what California charges,  for the top of the line Cable and internet. I’m sorry I don’t have a resolution but we sick of Cox and the “no nothing employees”.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @Pinkpearls, when experiencing spotty and inconsistent internet service, are you on WiFi or are you on a hard-wired connection? If you're on WiFi, here's some additional information on ways to improve the service:

www.cox.com/.../fixing-slow-wifi.html
      www.cox.com/.../masterlist-wifi-tips.html

If you have our Panoramic WiFi modem, we recommend enabling band steering and setting the channels to automatic. This helps to ease network congestion and minimize WiFi interference. For additional support, please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @CCallahan, I am not seeing any known issues or outages reported in your area at this time. Your modem is not reporting any signal levels to us at the moment, which means our network is not properly transmitting the signal to your home. Can you please make sure all cables are tightly secured and free of damage? If this issue persists, our best course of action is to send out a service technician to diagnose and correct this. For further assistance, please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator