Forum Discussion

Frustrated_in_A
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Internet outage daily

From what I've been reading on this forum, I'm not the only one that's frustrated with Cox.  I'm in the same situation with my internet constantly out everyday at the time needed most.  I have great internet from midnight until 6AM, otherwise , it's a crapshoot. 

Every call into Cox and it's check your connections, reboot your modem, unplug router , etc... I'm sure I'm not the only one who went out and  bought a new modem and wifi router.  I'm at a point where I think we all need to complain to BBB & FCC & FTC.  

Az_bah
    New Contributor

Im in AZ as well and have been speaking to chat support almost daily for the last 2 weeks. Very frustrating since I'm working from home and my internet is unreliable. I'm looking to switch to a different provider at this point. Too many excuses made when I contact support or they just disconnect so I have to go back to the queue. 

Allan
      @Az_bah, I recommend sending us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name, address, and a brief description of the issue so we can take a closer look on your behalf. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Coxisgarbage
    New Contributor III

File a complaint with the FCC, if enough people do this we can hopefully get resolution. 

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Frustrated_in_AZ

We like to take a closer look at your signal levels. When you have a moment please email my team at cox.help@cox.com. Include a link to this thread, full name, and address.

Jonathan J
    Cox Moderator

Insulus
    New Contributor

I had a similar experience with my zoom modem that was supported by Cox on paper but in practice. I eventually ended up buying a new ASUS modem that had a way shorter boot up time than the one provided by Cox, with the exception of infrequent unscheduled and unexplained outages only recently in the last year, I've not had any issues.

Unfortunately there's no real way to test which router works best with which companies. The best way I found is buy a new modem check to see if it works, if it does not return it and exchange for a different modem and repeat.

Typically, higher quality routers and modems have less issues than lower quality ones but it comes at a price. Gauge what you need knowing that it is the backbone of your service experience and how often you believe your isp updates their equipment.