Forum Discussion

rizwanazaidi
New Contributor II
2 months ago

Internet speed question

Hi - I have a GIG and it’s good speed. I check ‘Internet Speed Test’ and it comes out very fast. When I do this same test on my work laptop, since I work remote from home, the speed test doesn't have the same juice. 

I noticed the server is in New York when I’m logged into my work server - where as the one I do from home the server is in Las Vegas. Shouldn’t the same speed apply? 

3 Replies

• Hi rizwanazaidi,

Great question.  No the same speeds would not apply.  If you are connected to a VPN (your work laptop) this could impact your speeds.  In addition, if you are not connected via ethernet, this could also play a part in your speed difference.

Cox Support Forum Moderator

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

In addition to what LatitiaS said, reported speeds will fluctuate somewhat when using the same computer and connection with different speed test servers.  Speeds will consistently be higher or lower when comparing speeds between different servers.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

When you test from your work laptop, are you logged into work, via a VPN? If so, the reason your speed test is so slow, your path is, your laptop, through the internet to the vpn into your work system, back out to the internet to the test site located in the work site area, (NY), back into your work vpn system, and then through the internet back down to you. It's NOT going to be an accurate speed test. If you log out of the VPN, so your not connected to work, you will probably get a more accurate test, but while connected to work, it's just not an accurate test.