Forum Discussion

Turtl3
New Contributor
7 years ago

IPv6 static prefix

Hello,

Just recently configured IPv6 on my residential line in San Diego but attempting to do any sort of configuration is really difficult with the prefix changing so often. Is it possible to get a static /60 assigned?

TIA

• Hello Turtl3, We do have IPv6 released in most markets at this time however it is not fully soaked and at this point not fully supported. They may make some changes so the prefix does not change, but would not think that they will assign static IP's since our IPv4 platform IP assignments are not in the modems configuration.
    Turtl3
    New Contributor

When you say not fully supported, do you mean we shouldn't be using it? Since you are handing out addresses which any device will pick up by default and prefer over IPv4, I would hope that your v6 deployment is in production state. I don't need a static prefix, just one that is set to the same reasonable refresh schedule as IPv4. For example, my v4 address hasn't changed in months and my v6 prefix has changed 3 times in as many days.

Thanks for the reply.

• Turtl3,

All residential Cox customers in all markets now have access to IPv6, with the exception of Fiber PON customers. Fiber PON and Cox Business customers will have IPv6 enabled at a later date.

Our residential network is configured dynamically, therefore we are unable to issue any IP statically.

Turtl3
    New Contributor

Hey Colleen ,

I was responding to Danny's statement where he said that your IPv6 deployment was "not fully soaked and at this point not fully supported."

I understand that there are no static IPv6 assignments, just inquiring as to the current very quick refresh on the assigned prefix.

Thanks

• Turtl3

Thanks for clarifying. You can reach out here 24/7 if you've got any further questions.

StephanieS
    Cox Support Forums Moderator