Forum Discussion

olde_school
New Contributor
7 years ago

new email system is a nightmare..it doesn't work.. I pay 100.00 a month for a system I cant use I called cox they cant fix it

cant get into emails without trying three or four different things.old system worked fine new system stinks..; if its not broken don't fix its

5 Replies

JandJ2018
    New Contributor

Karen, your suggestion to "contact the software manufacturer is ludicrous - and I believe you know it. Your bosses told you to offer that "suggestion," I suspect, to try and deflect blame from Cox. But you and the myriad of other moderators and/or call center folks who keep offering us that lame suggestion are either blind to, or ignore, the fact that many of us are experiencing the same problem ON MULTIPLE 3RD PARTY APPLICATIONS.

So quit it. If you don't know how to fix it (and it's apparent to most of us out here that you don't), then just admit it, and tell us you're working on it (assuming, of course, that you ARE working on it - maybe a dangerous assumption). But please don't feed us these suggestions that are not only not helpful, but actually fly in the face of the facts. Don't treat us like we're stupid. We're not. Many (most?) of us actually know more about email servers/ports/set-up than many (most) of you appear to.

And Karen, nothing personal. I (we) know the problem lies quite a bit further up the org chart, and you're just trying to do your job the best you can. But your company did not adequately equip you with the knowledge needed to resolve these issues - perhaps because they don't have it either.

Thanks.

Karen_R
    Former Moderator
    Hello Skeeter66,

Sounds like you have already completed checking the server settings in the email client. We did have some recent changes to our server settings. Once that has been completed we would then suggest contacting the software maufacturer to check the software. Let us know if there is still no change. Thanks
    yak
    Contributor III

skeeter,  something is going on.  I got the popup dialog box 2 days last week where I could not send emails.  I could receive. the last time this happened, Cox was switching to new servers. 

skeeter66
    New Contributor

I have been using Thunderbird with my cox accounts for 12 years and never a problem til about a month ago. All of a sudden, I cannot send emails. I can receive them but not send them. Talked to a Cox techie, wow what a waste of time that was. I told him the issue was at Cox and not on my end and the settings.  Since last month I have changed settings. changed ports, tried IMAP versus POP about 20 times, uninstalled Thunderbird about 3 times, tried Opera, Mailbird Lite, and EM client and 2 others and it is always the SAME EXACT ISSUE. I can receive email, cannot send email, and I get different error messages. This morning, I got "incorrect greeting" error, with "too many bad commands" from 226.208.16

This is clearly a problem with Cox SMTP servers and 3rd party email software. I have to login to webmail.cox.net to send any email. But for 12 years all of my contacts, groups, and history is stored on Thunderbird.  This morning I set up Thunderbird again, and added my gmail account and it can send emails from my computer through imap.gmail.com and then I try my cox account, and it either times out or tells me I cannot login to the SMTP server.  So gmail's IMAP works but not smtp.cox.net. Gee, I wonder where the problem lies?

I am really frustrated with this issue, and the techies are not trained to deal with this issue because I don't think COX has its configurations done correctly.  They need to do a compete RESET and fix this.

Karen_R
    Former Moderator
    Hello Olde School,

Thank you for reaching out to Cox Forum Support. I'm sorry that you're having problems accessing the email. What is the exact error message that you're getting? Thanks