Forum Discussion

Herr_Schmidt
New Contributor II
2 years ago

What is “Network Management and Testing” data usage category?

What is “Network Management and Testing” data usage category?
My data shows this as a usage category- no one can explain what it is. Is it a scam to bill Data through the Panorama wifi router to increase my bill?

17 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Alissa13
    New Contributor II

Were you able to diagnose this? I'm having the exact same issue - somehow Network Monitoring & Testing used over 800 gb of data this month without any change in behavior from my household. 

Jjpella
      New Contributor II

Has anyone found a solution to this? Same thing has happened to me the last 3-4 months and we have absolutely blown through our data limit where as before we weren’t even close. We called cox and they suggested we update our wifi name and password but they couldn’t explain it either

DannyS

Hello, if still needing assistance with these account specific issues.  Please reach us on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com anytime for assistance.  We will be happy to help.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

My best guess is it's ICMP data. Have you been doing a lot of speed test lately?

Herr_Schmidt
      New Contributor II

Cox rep said he thinks it is a speed issue. I did some testing that day, and it was 119%- works fine. The increase over 2 months was around 80% every month. I turned off all start up programs I could find- but it sill looks like there is automatic running burning data- i can;t see what it is- someone in the forum suggested the router was running tests by itself- I asked cox rep- he said no. 

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I would assume, as a router, Panoramic has an SNMP component to monitor the "health" of its connection.  Perhaps this category includes the data from speed tests and maybe re-transmissions.

If this is a separate category, I'd also assume Cox is subtracting this number from your usage.  Is this number high?

Herr_Schmidt
      New Contributor II

It is 80% of my usage the last 2 month. So yes, it seems high.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I don't have the Pano.  Could you post an image and any fine print on the page?  By its name, Network Management is overhead, and 80% is a lot of network overhead.