Forum Discussion

Duran_Duran
New Contributor III
3 years ago

DVR deletes some programs on its own

Searching the forum, I see this has been a fairly common problem. My DVR is at 59% so that's ruled out. I have some programs on there from 4 years ago so it's not deleted those automatically. There is no longer a "keep" option available. And no, they are not at the bottom in my recently deleted option. Other than mysterious deletions, there are no other recording/watching problems.

For obvious reasons, I hate to swap it out in the hopes that this solves the problem. Cloud DVR is too rich for my blood.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I can only assume there is a market for networks or production companies to license "newer" reruns to the streaming services.  Newer, recorded programs are probably flagged as valid for a year and then expired, and perhaps older recordings don't contain this flag.  I noticed Yellowstone is no longer available on-demand via Contour.  I guess if you can forgo watching your programs live, drop cable and subscribe to a streaming service for true "Enjoy your shows whenever you please."

Duran_Duran
      New Contributor III

These were movies that were deleted on their own. Funny thing is they were old movies...from the 1980s!

I just scrolled through and I have one movie recorded 5/17/21. Today is the 19th and it hasn't been deleted.

So maybe some are flagged and some aren't. But how would we know that? Cox needs to be transparent about this.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I guess somebody could explain, justify or point us to its fine print but if you actually cannot watch your recordings "whenever" you want, why pay for the service?

switching_to_Co
      New Contributor

Nope. Cox must have a glitch in its software. Frankly it's not worth what Cox charges 

hammerva
    New Contributor

Almost every morning I check my DVR if I lose a bunch of stuff just for no reason except that the DVR was rebooted and just deleted them for the hell of it.  Last night I lost at least about 10% of my recordings.  

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Do the deleted shows have anything in common, such as, you recorded the deleted programs 1 year ago?

hammerva
        New Contributor

The only thing really in common is that they mostly recent ones.  Like I lost all of my Nationals and NBA Playback recordings for the last 2 weeks.  

The only thing I can figure and I am just guessing is if you do a recording during the time of the daily reboot not only will you lose your current recording but a lot of stuff around it gets messed up.  I tried changing my time to 4 - 6 in the morning and see if that helps.