Forum Discussion

Rcohn6
New Contributor
5 years ago

Evening blue screen of death.

1 main cable box in the living room and 3 mini-boxes in the rest of the house. This is a 3 year problem. Living room will start going blue screen on and off between 5 and 5:30pm for the entire evening while the mini-boxes remain on. Main box has been replaced by technicians 3 times over the year+ and still the same issue. I can't even enjoy my bigscreen tv in the living room at all in the evening. Technicians have no idea what is happening and simply replace the box all the time and say it's fixed!!! NOPE!!! Not even close. I'm ready to turn in the towel since I'm paying $$$ for something I can't even use. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

It sounds like you have a signal issue.  My guess is the main cable box requires a stronger signal than the mini-boxes.  When the signal strength drops during peak activity in the evening, it's insufficient for the cable box, but enough for the mini-boxes.  I would suggest you email cox.help@cox.com and include your full name, your full service address and a link to this forum thread.

Rcohn6
      New Contributor

TY. I thought about this since I live in a community. I checked with other neighbors who have the same setup and they have no problem. All cables have been replaced and I even tried a mini box in the living room with the same result. Can't figure it out. It's sad.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Maybe the poor signal is isolated to the living room.  Have you tried the cable box at one of the current mini-box connections?  

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Explain your audio-video setup.  What version of HDMI?  How does the signal get from the cable-box to the TV?  Do you have your TV set to an advance picture mode or frame rate?  If your cable box is connected to a splitter, what is the dB rating of its connection?

The 5-5:30 PM is peculiar.  Something has a chronological process.  Is your TV scheduled to check for updates around this time?  Is your TV updating?  What happens if you force an update in the AM...another BSoD?

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III
      All cables have been replaced and I even tried a mini box in the living room with the same result.

If a TV setting isn't properly configured, that could explain why the issue occurred in the living room when the big screen TV was connected to either the main cable box or a mini-box.  It wouldn't explain why it only occurs in the evenings though.  Perhaps the OP could test during the evening hours by connecting the main cable box in the living room to a TV other than the big screen.  

Since the issue occurred with a mini-box too, it's probably not because of scheduling.  As far as I know, mini-boxes can't be setup to update at a user specified time and Cox wouldn't schedule updates at 5-5:30pm.

If it's not a TV setting issue, it would seem to be a signal issue.  Since the mini-boxes work in three other locations, but not in the living room, the signal issue must either be 1. to the living room, 2. from the splitter to the cable box/mini-box (if the box is connected to a splitter) or 3. from the box to the TV.  If the OP is able to connect the main cable box (in the evening hours) to a different connection and TV where a mini-box works and the TV gets good audio and video, it will provide additional evidence of a signal issue to the living room.   But, there's still  the matter of identifying exactly where the issue occurs.  The OP didn't indicate if he used the same HDMI cable to the living room TV when connected to the mini-box that was used with the main cable box.  But, a faulty HDMI cable or a bad splitter wouldn't just fail in the evenings, so the issue is most likely caused by a drop off in signal strength due to prime time peak activity.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I wrote the "...TV [being] scheduled to check for updates around this time..." not a cable-box.  You can schedule some makes to check its website for updates.  For 3 years, it could have either been a recurring failed, corrupt or incomplete update.  I understand this sounds extreme and although you chose the word "patience," I would have chosen another.  Resetting the TV to its factory defaults might help.

I don't feel it is an issue with the Cox signal...especially after 3 techs.  The Cox signal would be strongest at the demarc.  The primary feed into the house (living room) would be the closest to the demarc.  I'm not sure where the mini-boxes get signals...either from a splitter at the demarc or in the living room...but I'll assume they're further (cable runs) from the demarc than the main cable-box in the living room.  Again, just an assumption.

Peak network-activity during primetime could be an issue, but this congestion would affect Internet-streaming more than cable TV.  I would assume CATV requires less bandwidth because it's probably more compressed, multiplexed, half-duplex and, at best, formatted as 1080i.  OP reported streaming is okay.

The chronology of a regimented lifestyle could also be an issue.  When do you normally turn on this TV?  Is its coax and splitter near any electrical wiring or device emitting high EMI?  It could just take some time...1 to 30 minutes...for the interference to finally disturb the signal.

Why would you guess 1 type of box would require a stronger signal than a mini-box?  I'm sure the operational specs are documented somewhere, but have you ever compared?  What are the operational specs of a "main box?"