Forum Discussion

Adam
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Why am I getting email notifications for forum posts?

I am getting email notifications for posts that are not mine.  And I cannot save the settings to stop all email notifications. 

Omega
    New Contributor II

Me too. Flooding my mailbox. Very annoying.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

This email-notification process was originally designed into the Forum 8-9 years ago.  It's always been here.

Judging these complaints, however, this process seems as though it was either paused or stopped some time ago.  Perhaps an admin recently restarted the process or...since Cox contracted their email service to a 3rd party...the 3rd party now oversees it.  I just think it was poorly designed originally.

First, subscribers should be reaching out to forums...not forums spontaneously reaching out to subscribers.  Second, subscribing to an entire Group is dumb.  People sometimes ask questions in the wrong Group...or repeat questions...or fail to research problems already solved in other posts.  I wouldn't want this superfluous chatter flooding my Inbox.

I think a forum should only send email for 3 processes:

- To the Originator of a post after an update, contribution, suggested answer(s), etc.
     - To the Originator of a post to select an answer, provide an update or close the post.
     - To any subscriber voluntarily subscribing to a specific post...not an entire Group.

Joining a Group to upload an image seems unnecessary and redundant.  I originally joined the Forum to solve a problem and may need to upload an image to help troubleshoot.  Wouldn't just joining a forum qualify to upload an image?