Forum Discussion

madutiel
New Contributor
2 months ago

Can I restring my own coax drop

We recently had a large storm come through our area, and our drop between the house and the pole was severed. I have been waiting for them to come and reinstall the cable, but they just keep pushing back the date. Can I just go get an outdoor rated coax cable and hook that up between my house and the box on the pole, or would that be illegal to do? 

• Hello. I hope you and your family are safe and well since the storm. I know the repairs are still very actively in process. You will not be able to run your own drop in order to obtain service. I know how frustrating it can be to be without service after a major storm. It takes longer to get repairs done because restoration involves walking and surveying large areas to check thousands of lines and pieces of equipment that could be below, on, or above the ground on the power lines. Because our service is connected to power lines, completion of our restoration must wait until the power company’s work is complete. We would be happy to look into this for you and address your concerns. When you have a moment, can you please email cox.help@cox.com with name, address, and link to forum thread so we can assist? You can also reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com.  

• Hello. I hope you and your family are safe and well since the storm. I know the repairs are still very actively in process. You will not be able to run your own drop in order to obtain service. I know how frustrating it can be to be without service after a major storm. It takes longer to get repairs done because restoration involves walking and surveying large areas to check thousands of lines and pieces of equipment that could be below, on, or above the ground on the power lines. Because our service is connected to power lines, completion of our restoration must wait until the power company’s work is complete. We would be happy to look into this for you and address your concerns. When you have a moment, can you please email cox.help@cox.com with name, address, and link to forum thread so we can assist? You can also reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com.