Forum Discussion

JustEivyn
New Contributor
5 months ago

Cocks can’t keep up with 4k videos on YouTube with 1GB download speed

I’m paying 130$ for YouTube to buffer and lag on 4k videos when no one else is using the internet at home. Worst internet  service I have ever had. 
DONT GET COCKS… oops I mean Cox because they suck it. Losing packets left and right. 

• Hello JustEivyn, I apologize that you are having issues with your service. We truly value our customers and want you to always feel that way. I want to help make this right. If you would like send me an email at cox.help@cox.com with your full name and address I would love to assist you.

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Are you connected via WiFi, or Ethernet. I am on 500 MBPS service and I can run 4k on several devices simultaneously. 

What modem/router are you using, what device are you attempting playback on. It may not be Cox, it may be something else, you settings, the device, or it could be cox. Let's find out!

JustEivyn
    New Contributor

Thank you for your reply, I currently have the Panoramic WiFi gateway modem/router the white tall one. I’m using a 2018 iMac, just trying to watch a live stream on YouTube on 4k it’s a hit or miss. It was buffering while I write this lol. 

Darkatt
      Honored Contributor

How far away from, the router are you? If you are within 30 feet, and there is no DENSE objects in between, you should be on 5ghz. If you are greater than 30 feet away, or have dense objects in between, (Think plaster wall, solid oak book case, etc etc), then you should be on the 2.4 ghz. Also, remember there are other things that can affect wifi speed. Not sure how old/new your mac is, but if you have a thunderbolt to ethernet, or usb to ethernet, adapter, try disabling wifi and use the ethernet and see what speeds you get.