Forum Discussion

dial911book
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Cox is blocking outgoing emails with content Cox apparently censors

I have collected several examples of this problem. I spoke to tech support, they refused to believe me.  They were polite - they just refused to believe that the bounce backs were content-based.

Sometimes I was forwarding email, but sometimes I wrote my own original email including information critical of the Covid-19 panic and government policies, and I included links to highly reputable websites on the subject.  No profanity or obscenity, no attachments, nothing weird. Cox bounced back the outgoing email to all recipients, with this message for each one:

550 [destination email address] message rejected. Refer to Error Codes section at https://www.cox.com/residential/support/email-error-codes.html for more information. AUP#CXSNDR

One of the destination email addresses was my own gmail account.

I have reproduced this issue -- I have the emails and rejections to show:  Cox is blocking the outgoing email based upon content.

Whom do I write to within Cox to complain about this censorship?  Does anyone know?

-Richard

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

What happens if you try sending an email with the same links and no other content at all?

dial911book
      New Contributor II

Excellent question. I just now tried it.  Cox system bounced it back as undeliverable. I sent it to my own gmail account, no text in the body of the email, only the links.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III
        Cox system bounced it back as undeliverable. I sent it to my own gmail account, no text in the body of the email, only the links.

Since the error occurred when your email contained no content other than links, you can most likely eliminate content-based as the reason your emails were blocked. 

550 [destination email address] message rejected. Refer to Error Codes section at https://www.cox.com/residential/support/email-error-codes.html for more information. AUP#CXSNDR

The description for the CXSNDR error code is: "There was a problem with the sender's domain.  Your email failed authentication checks against your sending domain's SPF, DomainKeys, or DKIM policy". 

That sounds like a problem with your Cox account.  Are you able to send any email with that account?  Try using your Cox account to send a "This is a test" email, containing no links or attachments, to your Cox account.  Then send that same email to your Gmail account.  If you're unable to send email from your Cox account to either account, you can use your Gmail account to contact cox.help@cox.com.  Be sure to provide your full name, service address, Cox email address and a link to this thread.

If you're able to send emails with your Cox account, you can perform tests in an attempt to determine the cause of the error.  Try re-sending your original email, without the links, first to your Cox account, then to your Gmail account.  Then, try sending a test email containing only a link to this Forum thread, first to your Cox account, then to your Gmail account, to see if you can send emails containing links.

Please post your results so that others may benefit from what you find out.