Forum Discussion

tajkkj
New Contributor III
6 years ago

cox.net e-mail failure via smtp.west.cox.net

I have not been able to send e-mail via smtp.west.cox.net today. This was working fine until this morning. I'm using Thunderbird as my e-mail client. The configuration has not changed between yesterday and today. I'm in Tucson (85747). The error message I get is:

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.west.cox.net was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again.

Thanks,

Tim

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Tajkkkj, Please verify that the server names in the outgoing settings fields do not include east, west or central. On myemail.cox.net, are you able to send and receive emails without any issues? If you are able to send and receive emails on myemail.cox.net without any issues, I'd recommend changing your password on the cox website, http://bit.ly/2KOrZnd. Please also make sure the Cox password matches the incoming and outgoing settings. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      tajkkj
      New Contributor III

Kevin, thanks for your reply. Back a lifetime ago, Cox recommended specifying west in the SMTP domain for efficiency. I'll remove it so any of the servers can be chosen. That said, this morning the west server is up again, and I was able to send e-mails through it. That tells me that a major SMTP server was down for most of a day. Not a good thing.

Thanks again for your reply.

Tim

CrystalS
        Former Moderator
        AWESOME Tajkkj!!! Glad you could get the email working again.

Crystal
        Cox Support Forum Moderator