Forum Discussion

residences4225
New Contributor
2 months ago

Incorrect data usage!!!!

How can my data usage start doubling overnight?!?! I've changed my password and yesterday disconnected everything but one tv and watched a football game the whole day and cox still says I used 76GB!!!!! How?!?! I've never even come close to my limit yet 3 weeks in I'm at 1600GB and being auto charged!! Customer service just spouts off your category percentages like that's a real data point!!! Who there can tell me how my daily usage went from 37GB to 85GB when I haven't changed my usage or modem?!?!?!

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

FYI the data usage is actually checked by a third party and is 99.99% accurate. I have verified the data usage via my netgear RAXE 300 router, and found it to be spot on. 

As for what uses that much data, I can help you figure it out. Do you have alexa? Do you have security cameras/doorbell? Do you have one drive loaded on your cell phone? (Assisted someone recently in the forums and they found over 100gb daily going through their cell phone/one drive.  Alexa can cause problems, and unless a certain setting is turned off, it can share your internet service with others. 

IE-"Amazon Sidewalk creates a low-bandwidth network with the help of Sidewalk Bridge devices including select Echo and Ring devices. These Bridge devices share a small portion of your internet bandwidth which is pooled together to provide these services to you and your neighbors."

TV/4K can use as much as 8GB/hr. 

residences4225
      New Contributor

So it's accurate that for the 6 months I've had this account I've been under 1000 and with almost everything going to my mint mobile hotspot exceptone non-4k tv, I'm now pulling 1500 in 3 weeks?  

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you have not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post at Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!