Forum Discussion

millerpt
New Contributor
7 years ago

Paying for Gigablast, only getting 220-270 Mbps

Hello,

I have gigablast in my community, I have had it since November.  The best I have ever gotten is 400 or so.  Typically I get 220-270 Mbps.  I have tried multiple routers, tweaking the routers and no luck.  I have spoken to tech support and had an on-site visit, but no change in my speed.  This is very furstrating.  I am aware that Cox does not "support" wifi, but that is what most people use.  ANny suggestions from anyone?

Thank you,

millerpt

• @millerpt,

What make/model router are you currently trying to use with the service? Also, are you experiencing this issue with multiple devices in the home or just one?

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.

millerpt
    New Contributor

Hi Allan, Than you for your inquiry.  I am using Netgear brand.  I have tried the Orbi Mesh system, no luck, tried the AD7200 Nighthawk X10, slighlty better, currently using the AC3200 triband,  The speeds are slow on multiple devices.  I am paying for enough bandwidth, I tried the triband routers and nothing seems to get the speed up around what I am paying for.  I do not expect to get 1 gig, but I would be very happy with 600-800 Mbps.  Any thoughts?

Michael

• Hello millerpt, This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally. We can definitely be able to assist you with this. As we may need to send a tech out for further testing. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.
    millerpt
    New Contributor

Hi Danny S.,

Thank you, I sent an email today to cox.help.cox.com with the requested information.  I will patiently await a reply.

Thank you,

Michael

• Hi millerpt, please check the address. The one you noted is incorrect. The email address is cox.help@cox.com

• Hello, i am having the exact same issue as you. I just upgraded to gigablast a couple days ago and am not getting the speeds i pay for. I barely get over 200 down/10 up. Sometimes the internet just drops below 1 down/1 up. I was wondering if you are experiencing this same internet issue as me. 

millerpt
    New Contributor

Hi Christian, my up speeds have never been an issue, only the down speeds.  I get between 200-270 Mbps.  I am currently working with Netgear to make sure the router is not the culprit.  I doubt it as I experience the same thing with 4 different routers.  Cox has offered to send out a tech and I think that is where I am headed.

Kabutoaz
    New Contributor

Wifi speed depends on router and client.  If your computer only has a 2x2 802.11ac card you will be lucking to get anything over 400Mbps.  A 3x3 card (such as newer iMac Pro) can go up to 600Mbps.  To check Gigabit speeds always plug in Ethernet to the router. With my Orbi RBK40 I can get 800+Mbps plugged in.  Wireless on my 2x2 Dell laptop I can only get 300-400Mbps.  My iMac Pro can get faster.  Plugged in to my close satellites I can get about 500Mbps.

DataCapsStink
    New Contributor II

Just keep in mind that even Gigablast (a high cost premium service) has the same tiny 1024GB data cap.

Netflix alone uses 3 GB per hour for HD and 7GB per hour for 4K UHD.

Do you have a cloud backup like CrashPlan, BackBlaze or even Google Photos auto uploading in the background?

Every time you come home from a trip with tons of new pictures and some videos on your phone, it will be eating up that tiny data allowance. 

They charge $10 for every 50 GB over 1024GB. 

So keep an eye on your data usage meter. 

It will be fun watching your home internet usage like it was your cell phone...don't you think?