Forum Discussion

Kayvee
New Contributor
7 years ago

POP and SMTP problems

When is Cox going to get this POP and SMTP problem fixed. Continuous problems sending/receiving emails in Outlook. Always get a wiwindow popping up that wants the password, which is there and is correct. But my emails don't go in or out when this box continuously pops up. Then Cox must do something and it goes away, just to reappear a day or 2 later. My computer guy says it is a proproblem  with the POP and SMTP. It is soooo frustrating! Anyone else having this problem?

stevem61
    New Contributor

All I want to do is scan my documents to my cox and work emails.  i have changed the port to 465 and 587 with no luck.  I have changed my password.  I think it is about time to look at other providers.  Cox seems to not care about keeping its subscribers.

BobCo
    New Contributor

my wife tells me we should switch to GMail for all of our accounts. maybe just the senders that are  important  we will switch to Gmail? Gmail is free and seems to work without any issues like accounts being set to Inactive or have constant pop-ups requesting for the password. the will slowly switch others to the gmail accounts ... will Cox give us a reduction in price it one does not use Cox Email??

• Richard Faris,

Can you sign into webmail test a send and receive email to yourself with the cox.net account that is not working in Outlook?

BobCo
    New Contributor

Can't do that when the Email Account has been set to inactive. So first go to Profile and see if it has been inactivated. It can happen at anytime and without warning or error message

StephanieA
    Former Moderator
    Hi Everyone,

We can confirm what the settings should be for the email client however we don't offer support for the client program or software. Since there are multiple settings for the servers, please pay close attention to the server name, port number, and authentication. If one of the settings are wrong, the client will give an error message. Please make sure the settings match what is provided in this link.

https://www.cox.com/residential/special-offers/secure-email.html

Trying different options won't be helpful. If the settings are correct and you are still having issues, please check all the devices you use to retrieve your email and make sure they are the same incoming server type. If one device is a POP server and another is IMAP, the POP server can cause the IMAP to timeout. If there is a reason why you are using both types, please let us know. We might be able to duplicate the intended outcome with only one server type.