Forum Discussion

sully115
New Contributor
3 days ago

Capped speeds on gigabit

So recently cox convinced me to upgrade to gigabit from my 500 down plan for only three dollars more. It’s too bad whenever I use my actual paid for speeds I get throttled to 32Mbps daily. Every single day for the past three days, mid day, I’ll be using the internet to stream videos or do homework and my download speed will tank to less than 5% of what I have paid for. 
Everytime I contact support they lie to me and tell me my speeds are fine when in fact my own cox app is pinging the gateway and seeing 16-32mbps. It tells me to my face I am getting less than 5% of advertised speeds. If I contact support they just keep saying it’s fine until they hard reset my gateway and then my connection is fine for a couple hours before it does it again. When I track my speeds I noticed it will not leave 32 except to go down. If it reaches 32.9 it will never pass that so in my head this is a hard cap. I am only halfway through my data for the month. I’m not sure what I’m even paying for anymore. No help in sight 

• Hi sully115, I am sorry this has been your experience with your speed. We want to help. Please send us an email to Cox.Help@Cox.Com with your full name, address and link to this forum post for assistance. 

sully115
      New Contributor

I have a cox tech coming today. It seems like everytime I try a big download or anything taxing on my internet, it defaults to 32Mbps and stays there until Cox resets my gateway. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Try posting your gateway's signal levels. Go to 192.168.0.1 > user;admin password;password(unless changed) > Connection > Cox Network > Scroll down and post your downstream and upstream levels. You might have to scroll over to take different screenshots of all the levels. Make sure to include OFDM and OFDMA levels too. 

On top of that, how does the coax get from the street to the room the modem is in? Any splitters/amps/filters? Was it professionally installed and when was the last time a technician was out to your house?

sully115
      New Contributor

I was told I have no packet loss and that my connection is fine. When I agreed to go to gigabit they scheduled a technician to come look at the box to remove some out of date equipment but idk what it was. I’ll try posting the upstream/downstream when I get home but If it’s relevant I’m getting 32mbps down no matter time of day now it’s always at 32 and around 40mbps up but that goes up and down normally. The coax comes through the wall - I’m in a third floor apartment so I’m not to sure the route it takes from the box. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Troubleshooting in a apartment is tough because you sometime share coax with other apartments. If you are getting 32Mbps, sounds like the gateway is going into partial service mode. That's when it can't lock onto some of the channels used for service. Think of it like a highway with multiple lanes. The more lanes, the more cars that can use it before there is traffic. Each lane/channel is like a station on a radio dial. It uses it's own frequency and if there is noise on those frequencies, the gateway can't connect to them. I would start by posting the signal levels. That will tell you the type of problem you are having. Then try to figure out where all the coax come together for your apartment complex. Does each apartment get their own line to the street? If not, where does the line split to the different apartments?

sully115
      New Contributor

So turns out one of the street lines had water damage and the ethernet cable supplied to me by cox was faulty. Thank you for your help - I appreciate it.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Looks like channel 11 was the issue. Glad you got it fixed. Have a good day!