Forum Discussion

chynoodle
New Contributor II
2 months ago

What is going on? 4 weeks of inconsistent service.

Today marks the 4th week in a row. That's right 4th week in a row that I have inconsistent internet coverage. I pay for the 1GB plan which is already over $100 not including the modem rental. 

About 4 weeks ago I noticed that between 5PM and 9PM my download speeds would dip from about 950 mbps to around 700 and my Uploads speeds would dip from about 40 mbps to about 1-5mpbs. The average person wouldn't care but I use my PC as a secondary source of income and those hours  and speeds very much matter. Every day that passes  that I'm unable to use my internet effectively around my day job is money out of my pocket. I called every day for about a week and a half, I was strong armed and gaslit into updating my modem and was assured by several people it will definitely resolve my issue. 

Well lo and behold it did not. I finally managed to get ahold of a manager and almost everyone I've spoken to has been so considerate and kind and helpful. The manager was very polite and sent out a tech free of charge, the tech verified everything in my apartment and said there were no issues. He did say however that the box outside was flagging some errors and he would let the mainline team know. This was almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't noticed a single soul come out to attempt to fix anything but I could be mistaken. 

Which leads me to this week, there has been an "active outage event" in my area for almost a week now and when I lose reliable service is becoming more and more random and somehow even more unreliable. I am officially at my wits end. It has been 4 WEEKS and all Cox offers are assurances it will get fixed eventually and they're definitely doing they're best. I asked for a credit on my account just today and all I was offered was $25 off my $125 bill for let me remind you, 4 WEEKS of inconsistent usage. When I told the rep I wanted to speak to manager she said I had to tell her why. I explained I want more compensation than what she offered and she told me no because she already authorized the measly $25 credit and told me basically she can't assist me any further since there's an active outage event and they aren't sure when it'll finally be resolved and told me to have a nice day.

I have things to do, events to plan and people to get ahold of and I cannot spend the rest of my summer like this especially if I'm receiving no compensation for it on top of the countless hours I've spent on the phone, in store and on webchat trying to resolve this and on top of that the amount of income I've lost due to the inconsistent service. $25? Clearly your customers are a joke to you.

And so here I am, angry and upset and frankly at my wits end. I hope that someone sees this and can offer me more than a $25 credit and an "Idk." I will be calling your tech support every day to speak to someone actually willing to make this situation right and I can assure you with 100% confidence I will be taking my business elsewhere as soon as I'm able if this is not resolved.

GET IT TOGETHER COX. 

12 Replies

• HI chynoodle, thanks for reaching out to us about the outages you have experienced. You are a valued member of the Cox family. You deserve reliable services. I work from home, so I know how important it is to have reliable internet service. I understand how frustrating this must be for you, however, the forums are for customers to share support and advice on issues they are familiar with and can help each other out. Please feel free to contact us through our Social Media accounts, X (formerly Twitter) CoxHelp, Facebook, or our Live Online Chat: https://www.cox.com/residential/contactus.html    If you prefer, you may also call us at 1-800-234-3993. Thank you , 

chynoodle
      New Contributor II

I've reached out to your customer service via live chat and through calling several times and have received no resolution or help outside what I've already outlined so I fail to see what good doing it all over again will do. I apologize if I've misused the forum service but quite frankly I'm at a loss of how else to get anybody's attention on the matter. 

desertengineer1
        New Contributor III

Most of our neighborhood is pretty much fed up too.  We're exploring AT&T options.

desertengineer1
    New Contributor III

Having the EXACT same problem here.  Since upgrading to 2 Gbps, we get at least an hour of total outages per day, almost 30 minutes at a time.  I've called multiple times to the Cox service center to complain.  As a former comm engineer, since everyone else in the neighborhood is experiencing the same problem, IT'S NOT MY SIDE.  It's the link between the central office and our neighborhood node that keeps dropping - everyone is getting the same outages.  But I have to fight through the "Big Customer Service" portal to get any attention to it.

For example, today, the connection dropped right in the middle of a Microsoft update from my employer, and it rendered all Office basically "deleted" from my OS.  Had to spend about 3 hours reinstalling.  I made it clear to Cox that this didn't happen with the previous protocol, and if I continue to lose work productivity, while paying a HUGE premium for the top-tier service, I'm switching to AT&T.  Speed started above 2 Gbps at first, but has now reduced to less than 1, with upload a measly 30 Mbps. 

tclifford1
    New Contributor

It might be time to get one of the news agencies like 3 on your side involved. 

joceppi85
    New Contributor II

I agree with the increased number of outages.  We also used to be able to call for a credit within at least a few weeks of the outage; however, as of today [07/24] I was told by customer services rep [Eswar] that there is a new policy that if you have an outage, Cox customers need to call within 7 days to receive any credit for an outage.  I feel like Cox changed their policy without notifying customers.  Is this legal?  I am not happy either; however, there are no other choices for service in my area.  Cox is the best bad service around....  horrible.

LatitiaS

Hello Joceppi85,

That is indeed odd.  We are more than happy to review an account for credit as long as we are able to verify the dates coincide with a service issue in the area.  Naturally we ask that you reach out to us as soon as possible, as it is easier to locate area details.  

Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email at cox.help@cox.com with your account details so that we may forward this feedback to the agent's direct leader.  

Thanks!

Escape1122
    New Contributor

Same issues. Especially in the evenings!! I have had to reset the modem every hour on multiple days. Never used to be an issue. It exponentially got worse after the most recent MS Crowdstrike thing. 

LatitiaS

Hi Escape1122,

We want you to enjoy your services and I am very sorry to learn of your troubles.  Please send us your account details on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email at cox.help@cox.com so that we may look into your concerns.

Cox Support Forums Moderator 

• I've had the same issue since July 1st when lightning struck somewhere nearby and both my modem and routers surged out. Once I got the notification that the service was out in my area I waited a couple of days to see if my router and modem is going to reset but it did not so I wait a couple of more days still no internet service. And then duribg the next storm it happened again after the system came back up still no inetrnet . Kept getting error information,  could not find ISP provider or connected without internet or connected but not secure. A week later I called and made an appointment but unfortunately my doctor's appointment was going to run into the time they were to come out and I canceled the day before was in advance. Two days later I rescheduled for them to come out and was waiting for them to come on the day the appointment was rescheduled and I get a text message from them saying it had been canceled. Long story short I ended up making another appointment they finally came out on July the 22nd. Technician said the modem has surge out and I needed to replace it. So now I have to buy a new modem and still no internet. So I'm having to use the mobile data on my phone to do certain things, but other apps don't recognize my device and I can't get in some of my accounts for almost a month now. I was told once I get the new modem to call Cox and let them set it and then I could get a credit for the days I had no internet. Well I'm still waiting on the modem to be delivered through FedEx.

JulianN

Hello, I am very sorry you’ve not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!