Forum Discussion

TinaV
New Contributor
7 years ago

EMAIL ERROR

Only on Outbound emails I get the following error.  Just started yesterday.  I've checked all the settings, etc. and everything is right.  Can't figure it out.  Can anybody help?

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  5.2.0 3Ton1x0010PnBoL01TonSu internal error. Please check the message and try again.

Tina

TinaV
    New Contributor

I haven't heard whether they corrected the limit of over 9 addresses in email, but I sent an email this morning to 11 people and it took with no errors.  They didn't give any notification when they changed the policy so why would we think they would send out notifications that they fixed it and admit they were wrong?

Has anybody else tried sending emails to more than 9 people to see if it now works?

John2222
    Contributor II

I sent an email yesterday to about 30 recipients (expecting it to fail).  However it was sent without any problems.  

Yes, I agree it would be nice if one of the Cox Forum Moderators would update us on the status.  It appears that they have increased the limit of number of recipients to some higher number, but I'm not sure what that number is.

Cox can you help us here?

• My friend was at my house last week and got the error message when trying to send his group email out through my Cox WiFi. He sent it out today from his house.....and it worked! He has Cox, too, but he pays for the expensive speed and I pay for the lower priced speed. I did have one tech tell me to pay for faster internet and it might work. Is that what COX has done? Cut the number of group emails down to 9 for those of us who can't afford to buy the fastest speeds? I don't know what has happened, but I signed up for Gmail account and it works through my low priced Cox internet service. I sent out an email to a group of 80 yesterday. I don't get it??
    jannymv
    New Contributor

The irritating popup asking for your password started again today - at least if accepts the password this time. I got tricked into signing up for paperless delivery on Costco card - so I called Citi to make sure I can print upcoming rebate from website (I can). Cox is making changes again probably without testing the changes- this time webmail on my wifes I-phone is flakey after it was working.- sometimes emails which came in in Outlook appear, sometimes they don't. The shortcut I placed to take me to myemail.cox.net takes me to a different place each time and even after I get the correct site and log in some e-mails are missing.  I have only one group with 32 recipients so it was not a huge issue to split to 4 groups. In my case at least - Cox increased traffic instead of decreasing.  But I'm very careful to make SURE no more paperless billing since I have no confidence in Cox as my e-mail service provider. I actually missed one payment because didn't see the e-mail - and I assumed I accidently trashed it with the mega qty of spam. Now I'm wondering if I ever received it - though of course Cox would blame it on Citi/Costco if I did not.

Tracy_Baker
    New Contributor

Another with a problem caused by the email changes. Everything worked fine until recently.

I have an account where I receive my email from a service other than Cox (as I have my own domain with email). For this account, I'm using the other service's POP3 server and settings.

As I cannot use my domain's SMTP server (because of the mail relay prohibitions Cox has put in place), I am using Cox's SMTP settings with my Cox user account information.

I get this message upon trying to send an email to myself on gmail: "An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.1 <myname@gmail.com> relaying not allowed. Please check the message recipient "myname@gmail.com" and try again."

This is wrong. I am NOT using mail relaying as I am using Cox's SMTP server (as I am a Cox customer) to send mail to a gmail.com account.

I am using Thunderbird. My SMTP settings are:

Server Name: smtp.cox.net

Port: 465

Connectivity Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: Normal Password

User Name: {my_Cox_user_name}

--------------

I also have an account configured with all Cox information -- that works fine. However, I can't get POP mail from my domain this way.

---------------

So:

1) Fix it so I can use my domain's POP server and Cox's SMTP server, or

2) Allow me to use my domain's POP and SMTP server.

TinaV
    New Contributor

John2222 - I have an email list of an organization with about 220 emails and it still won't send that many emails but I tried to see what the max was now.  It seems to be 40.  I tried 50 and it won't send.  I can live with 40 even though it is a pain to break apart into several emails when you have a large list.  Cox assumes a large emailing is spam.

• Hi Tracy,

As I understand it, Thunderbird uses the default SMTP entry for all of your email accounts. This means the SMTP settings of the default email account are used when sending mail from any of your email addresses. What are the SMTP server settings for your default account in Thunderbird?