Forum Discussion

Rich170
New Contributor II
3 months ago

Cox email transition - has anyone completed the transition to Yahoo

Has anyone completed the email transition to Yahoo? It would be appreciated if any Cox customer would answer this question. 

I have been trying to get some information about when; and all I receive from Cox is we don’t know. In my opinion this response is unbelievable  - a significant customer service change and the company’s help response team can’t provide an answer is unbelievable - implies a lack of transparency or worst.  

So that’s why I am calling out to any Cox customer and provide some feedback about the “actual” transition. I and many of us have received the preliminary emails about the future.

Has anyone's completed the transition?

67 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KarenL
    New Contributor III

I transitioned yesterday. To say this goes smoothly is pure garbage. I use Apple Mail. Worked like a charm prior to the transition. 

The problem is Apple Mail only allows 10k emails for Yahoo Mail on my Mac. Even worse on my iPhone only 3k. 

I contacted Yahoo support and they walked me through the setup. Even though they had me take different steps than I already had performed, same result. After working with them for 30 minutes, they said it’s an Apple issue.  My original cox emsil in Apple mail has over 17k emails so bogus reply by Yahoo. 

As someone who worked in IT, I say horrible testing by Cox and Yahoo to work out the bugs. 

CherylD
      New Contributor II

I would love to know how you contacted Yahoo support.  When I checked, you had to have a paid email account to get live phone support, and I didn't see any other way to contact Yahoo.  I know of several emails in at least 2 of my email accounts that were not received by me on 4/25/24(in accounts that have been transitioned from Cox to Yahoo)  There may be other emails that I'm not aware of too.  It seems to me that Cox should have made provisions with Yahoo for some kind of support for problems during this transition period(not requiring a paid Yahoo subscription)

JulianN

Hello, we would be happy to assist with any questions or concerns you might have. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!

CherylD
        New Contributor II

I would love to know how to contact Yahoo support.  When I checked about getting Yahoo support, you had to have a paid email account to get live phone support, and I didn't see any other way to contact Yahoo.  I know of several emails in at least 2 of my email accounts that were not received by me on 4/25/24(in accounts that have been transitioned from Cox to Yahoo)  There may be other emails that I'm not aware of too.  It seems to me that Cox should have made provisions with Yahoo for some kind of support for problems during this transition period(not requiring a paid Yahoo subscription)

RickS1
    New Contributor

I have two email addresses on my account. I received an email notice that the transition was complete for the address I used to originally setup Cox email. I followed the directions and got Yahoo setup and running. My concern is for the other email address, which is the one I use 99% of the time. When I tried to set it up, Yahoo said it doesn't recognize the address. Will  that one be done separately? Will I need to wait for another email that it's done and ready or is there something I'm missing about how to transition it?

NicholeC

Hi RickS1,

Not all email addresses will move at the same time. You should get a notification when it's ready to move, but you can also just log directly into myemail.cox.net. If you have your webmail inbox, you're still with us for the time being. If you login and you get a page about the Yahoo transition, it's time to complete the transfer. A link to the Yahoo sign in will be available at that time. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Completed it this morning, AFTER I received the email that said 

Welcome to Yahoo Mail!

Your cox.net email is ready for the final move to Yahoo Mail.

1. Go To 

mail.yahoo.com/login

2. Enter your full cox email address 

3. Enter Cox Pwd

4. Change the password when directed to something new and exciting.

• So I just transitioned to Yahoo, and it only pulled my emails from 2018 to now?? I lost all my emails I was saving?

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I'm so sorry for the issues with missing mails. As the server contents would have transferred after you've followed the initial link. Yahoo would be the support channel. Although i am glad to help if I can, the server contents are no lover recoverable on our end. Have you checked each mail client for copies? I have seen customers using POP protocol that had their mail downloaded to a client and did not have it on the server to be transferred. Please let me know if I can help and I will do my best. 

evofxdwg
    New Contributor

Here I am a couple of days after the cox mail cutoff. I successfully got yahoo to recognize both mine and my wife's cox.net addresses. I am able to use Yahoo webmail. But I ran into these problems and just about to resign and change over to iCloud, with the attendant changes with all the people and places I have email with:

1. I cant get my Apple mail account to sign on to Yahoo as a client. Ive tried both the normal yahoo web password and created a special "app password" per yahoo instructions. Neither is recognized and the yahoo account simply shows up greyed out with the triangle-! symbol in my Apple mailbox list. The command Mailbox:Online Status:Take Yahoo Online results in no response (using a 2016 MacBook Pro, Intel based computer).
    2. The Yahoo mail app is not compatible with older Intel-based Macs. It must apparently be an M1 or later computer. (My wife has an air with M1 chip and I successfully installed the Yahoo mail app on it).
    3. The (free) Yahoo webmail contact import does not support importing any of the formats (such as V-card) that Apple can export. So I cant have my contacts there without retyping them in?
    4. I sure don't like the ads in the (free) Yahoo email list. Same with the app for my wife.

Does anyone know if iCloud can be set up to use our cox.net addresses? Or will we have to go thru the change of email address?

Any suggestions for fixing 1-4 above complaints are welcome.

Not happy with Cox or Yahoo.

Rich170
    New Contributor II

Can someone provide a screen shot of the two first screens (Yahoo mail platform) we are suppose to receive once we get the moved email?

I have been monitoring this forum for the last 2 months and I thought I had a reasonable process (per folks on this forum). however, yesterday I did see a new tread (issues and dead end) about this initial login and setup. I received the third email about 2 months ago.

As I understand 1) we rec the moved email (Yahoo mail platform) = log in with "existing Cox address and existing password" 2) next screen allows us to opt in and ?create new password? with ?new password requirements? and 3) which I presume are listed as well as ?exclusion for historic passwords?

Is that correct? I would appreciate seeing the detail screen shots (devils in the details).

Note also I have an existing yahoo account. My concern is that linking to yahoo mail platform link "might" open existing Yahoo page shows existing account. In that case my plan is to close existing Yahoo account and select add an account on that page. However, my concern is that this "add an account" is not part of the Yahoo mail platform transition workflow.

I do not want to get into some confused account invalid issue (that another individual on this forum encountered - aka "dead end".

If I can see the two or three screen shots, I can see what to expect. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

coxiscrap1
      New Contributor II

For us and our household in southern Calilfornia area (areas receive the transition at different times) we did not receive a final email from Cox, we received this email below, yesterday. The other indication that the transition actually happened was that was the LAST email I received on my computer and phone. At that point of receiving this email below the server had changed and all of our devices still reflected the Cox server. 

So on my phone I followed the first link and there were pages that I wish I could capture for you but I cannot get them back nor can I revisit them. However the first was too enter your email address (Cox address) and your current password (again what you had with Cox). Then the very next screen was prompting you to change your password. 

I then tried to manually change server settings in my Samsung S22 phone email app to no avail. What worked was deleting the account and adding a new one and choosing Yahoo email as the provider. It automatically set the server settings and my phone email was up and running again. 

I also installed the Yahoo phone email app (which I will delete because its not needed) before I figured out my samsung email app just so I could verify my settings work on Yahoo. On the Yahoo app I saw my emails so then I proceeded to try to change the samsung email app which eventually worked as I described. 

I have not tried our PC email applications yet (Outlook 365 and Outlook 2016) but I expect that to not be smooth either. My best advice to anyone is comb the web for forums and try what people are doing. If you happen to get hold of someone at Yahoo that can help then good luck. Don't waste your time with Cox because at least tier 1 help is useless. They are not trained for such things other than "press the shiny button" type of instructions.

(my transition has happened email... from Yahoo not Cox. never got one from Cox)

n0v8or
    New Contributor

Does anyone have detailed transition instructions that actually work?   I received a notice to make the transition and followed the instructions on the linked web page.

First, I entered my Cox email address and email password . . .  so far, so good, it recognized me correctly as a Cox customer.  Next, I was required to enter a Yahoo email password.  I tried several, which were all rejected because they resembled the Cox password.  Evidently, there are undisclosed Yahoo password rules.  After, several more rejected attempts, by luck I found a password Yahoo found acceptable.  Finally, I clicked on the "complete the transition" button, and the screen went completely blank.

I returned to the original Yahoo mail login URL, and it would not accept either the new Yahoo email password or old Cox email password.  In both cases, I received a "invalid username or password" message with a link to a Yahoo Help site URL.  The Yahoo help site directs me to a Cox help site, and the Cox help site directs me back to the Yahoo help site, so both options are a dead end.

It appears my only viable option is to create a new Gmail account with a name similar to the Cox account I attempted to transfer to Yahoo.

coxiscrap1
      New Contributor II

For me on my Samsung S22 phone changing server settings to match Yahoo's server settings did not work. What I did that finally did work was to delete the account from the email app on my phone completely and then add a new one, choosing Yahoo service, using my email and new password Yahoo makes you create when you follow the steps in the "transitioned" email from Yahoo. So you have to first set up the account on Yahoo and accept the terms. I had IMAP setup original with Cox email so my emails that were on the Cox server, not Yahoo server showed up. If you have POP you may lose them. No info on that but I certainly would not believe anything Cox tells you. 

For Outlook the instructions from madweber seemed to help people. Haven't tried them myself but will tonight.

https://forums.cox.com/discussions/internet/email-switch-to-yahoo-and-outlook/151550/replies/152416

Bill_C_
    New Contributor II

Once I received the email from Cox telling me it was now time for me to transition to Yahoo Mail (around March 14, 2024), I used the IMAP settings at https://help.yahoo.com/kb/devices-sln3697.html. I immediately transitioned and it has worked perfectly since March 14th.  I can now send and receive my cox.net email using the Outlook email client (both traditional and "new" Outlook). The key to successfully setting your Cox.net email up in Yahoo Mail lies in whether your Cox.net data has been MIGRATED to Yahoo Mail yet. If it has not, you can try to set up the email client you're using all day long and you WILL NOT successfully log in to the Yahoo Mail servers. Yahoo Mail has to be able to recognize your Cox.net email address and can only do so once Cox has migrated your data to Yahoo mail.

xwordgal
      New Contributor

I am technically challenged and I am dreading the Cox transition to yahoo. I actually do not understand how you use the iMap settings. How do you go about using it and how do you access it. Please excuse my naivety!!  I would appreciate any advice you can give me

kcbrent
      New Contributor II

If you want an opinion from a cybersecurity professional, stay off the cloud, don’t use yahoo, gmail, Hotmail, or any other flavor. Stay far away from them as possible and use your own email.

patouchet
        New Contributor II

Too bad I couldn't, switched by mistake and was stuck with their crappy interface- [yahoo is good...for my junk email!]. Didn't research enough; then tried to switch back to Outlook 2019 before they sent the actual transition notification: 4 months after they said "SOON" should've known since they lie about everything else.

Rich170
      New Contributor II

Bill C

Thanks for confirming that this transition can work successfully with the specific steps you described. I am still waiting for the "moved" email (last email I received 3rd email dated Feb 2/19 ("home stretch few weeks)). I use pop3 with Outlook email client (with x6 accounts); it should be straightforward as you described. Hopefully.

Thanks again.

alwezhpy
    New Contributor

I also have a question about the transition.  Now that the service (email), which we have been paying for, is moving to the free Yahoo platform, is Cox going to lower our service price?  A significant part of Cox's responsibility is being pawned off to Yahoo and Cox's system will be saving quite a bit of resources.  If our bill is not lowered, this will just be another fine example of "shrinkflation" where we continue to pay the same price for less service/product which just increases the company's profit for their shareholders.

CherylD
      New Contributor II

I totally agree with you on this.  Would also like an answer...especially since Yahoo doesn't seem to offer any support unless you have a paid email account, which is just more cost to us.

coxiscrap1
      New Contributor II

The answer from ChrisJ2 is disingenuous. Cox like any other for-profit business is not doing anything at their expense for the customer. I wouldn't expect it. Email service they were providing is no exception. Someone is paying for the "free benefit".  Now if those costs are passed to those who signed up after 2019 then they should get the discount once Cox drops their email service and is no longer having to internally fund it. Of course providing email services costs Cox money.  There's equipment, labor, software related expenses, transmission maintenance and capital costs to support internet which the email travels over.  The question still stands and is completely valid. Will Cox lower the cost of their internet service to all of those who are paying for it once they drop their email service costs?  We all know the answer.

CherylD
        New Contributor II

I agree with you on the fact that Cox will be saving money now that they won't be paying for all you mentioned above.  Email service is not free, but is paid by subscribers as part of their cox internet service payment.  It seems to me that Cox should reduce their price to reflect their cost savings....and the question remains:  did Yahoo receive any compensation from Cox to acquire all of it's email users? 

ChrisJ2

Hi, there. I understand your concern. Our first consideration with this transition was to ensure there was a future for this ancillary service and Yahoo will provide that. Our email is provided as a free benefit for having signed up with Cox prior to 2019 and has never been a paid service (in the same way basic mail from Gmail and Yahoo are also free). I hope this helps explain. I must apologize, also for the lack of available information. All currently available information can be found at https://www.cox.com/emailmove but at this time we don't have any dates confirmed. Customers will begin receiving email communications 60 days prior to migration. Thank you so much for your patience with us. 

Dan12345
        New Contributor

Chris, take your canned BS corporate responses and stick them where the sun don't shine. Cox sucks, always has and always will.